Feedback: Application window randomly resets it's size and location, it's becoming frustrating

mattoftheinternets
mattoftheinternets
Community Member

Randomly the application window will open with (what appears to be) a 'default' size and position. I can resize the window, or relocate it to a corner of the screen... I can change the size a little or a lot, doesn't matter. After a few days (randomly it seems) I'll use the key combo or menu bar item to open the app and the window will have reset to the 'default' size and location.

This occurs on two computers I have, both are Macs, one is running macOS 11.6.8, the other 12.5.

This is really starting to bug me, I like the window to be smaller than this 'default'; both for privacy reasons and personal use... I definitely don't have a problem that the Quick Access widget appears in a default location because it's very small and only open for a moment.

However, I feel any change to the size or location of the main window should persist permanently, even through updates. (Minors and Revisions, a major update with design changes can reset the window location. It makes since in that instance.)

I would really appreciate it if we could find a solution.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2022

@mattoftheinternets

We'll likely need that direct line of communication going as we gather details. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your device and include it too.

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Click 1Password in the menu bar.
    3. Click Preferences.
    4. Click Advanced in the new window that appears.
    5. Click Send Diagnostics.
    6. Click Reveal.
    7. Attach the .1pdiagnostics file saved in that folder to your reply.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: mattoftheinternets
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/131988/feedback-application-window-randomly-resets-its-size-and-location-its-becoming-frustrating#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• mattoftheinternets
    mattoftheinternets
    Community Member

Done, my support ID is [#VFE-68686-669]

• Thanks @mattoftheinternets

ref: VFE-68686-669

• Jeunj
    Jeunj
    Community Member

I'm having the exact same issue. Is there an update on this please?

• JensKistler
    JensKistler
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

I have the same problem. I use an external monitor on my MacBook Pro (2019).
    When I resize the 1Password window, close it and reopen it again, the size remains as set last.
    But when I turn the Mac in sleep mode, take off the monitor cable, and start again at an other location, the window size get lost and I have to resize it again because the default size is too small.

I didn't have this problem with 1password 7.

• Hi @Jeunj,

We don't currently have an update. Can you specify your monitor setup (laptop & external monitor, just laptop, desktop with monitor, etc.) and any other relevant details (when the issue occurs, steps to reproduce the issue, etc.), if the steps to reproduce are different than what has already been mentioned.

Thanks @JensKistler!

We really appreciate the details. We have been able to reproduce that particular issue internally and have an issue filed internally for our developers to look into a fix. Hopefully we can find a solution soon.

ref: dev/core/core#14755

• Jeunj
    Jeunj
    Community Member

@Joshua_ag looks like it happens when I switch monitors. I have a 4k monitor connected to my Mac at home and no monitor when I go into the office. Whenever I switch the screen size and position resets to default.

• @Jeunj,

Thanks so much for the update, yes you are definitely experiencing the same issue. I'll make sure the team is aware of your set up. Thanks for the help here.

This discussion has been closed.