Inconsistent search behavior

I have an item called "MyABFM". If I forget that this item has a "My" at the start, and search only for "ABFM" in the browser extension, 1Password is smart enough to find the item. But if I search for "ABFM" in either Quick Access or the main 1Password app, it does not find the item. I believe that search behavior should be consistent among different versions of the app. And for this particular case, I much prefer the browser extension's search behavior.

1Password Version: 206237
Extension Version: 2.3.6
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ Safari and Chrome

Comments

• Hi @dgbeecher,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and specific example on this situation. I had a meeting with our product team today to advocate for a handful of issues impacting our customers, this being one of them. I'm hopeful we'll get some traction here, but I'm afraid I cannot make any promises, other than to say it is something I'll continue to push on.

Ben

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

This problem is known for at least 7 months and apart from telling us that it will evolve nothing has changed. Please prioritize fixing all the regressions in 1PW8 instead of adding new features. In its current state 1PW8 is barely usable for people relying on search.

• We've already got a vote filed for you, @viswiz. 👍 As Ben mentioned, we'll keep advocating for your priorities around this aspect of the app specifically.

• volts
    volts
    Community Member

Would small bribes be helpful? Chocolates, stout beer, video game collectibles?

• Haha, @volts, you literally had me laughing at my desk. Thank you for being serious and also, at the same time, lightening the mood. While those are tempting, you might cause chaos regarding who gets what. I would therefore propose we keep those developers at work.

• Hey @dgbeecher and @volts, I just wanted to follow up with some good news!

As of our latest Nightly (80901013) release, we've added substring matching while searching:

If you're interested in trying out this functionality, you can navigate to ⋮ > Settings > Advanced and set the release channel to Nightly. You can then select About and Check for Updates to download the latest release.

Let me know how that goes!

Ali

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

Awesome news @AliH1P - though I'll wait for it to hit the Beta channel, if you don't mind. Great to see progress...

• Thanks for your reply, @esquared! No problem at all! Just keep any eye out for updates in our release notes: 1Password Releases

• Hi @esquared - substring search has now made it into Beta and Production versions of 1Password.

To take advantage of this, update to version 8.9.4 or later and you should be good to go.

Thank you as always for your engagement here, and we hope you enjoy this update! 😃

• volts
    volts
    Community Member

1) Where should I send the chocolates?

2) If y'all are willing, I'd love to hear the tech/nerd details. Challenges associated with language-independent search support, substring search, how it was solved. Blog post?

This discussion has been closed.