To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Explain how Secret key works and how easy it might be to lose access to 1password

edspyhill05
edspyhill05
Community Member
edited August 2022 in Memberships

I need documentation as to how 1password works, how security works, and things I must do to ensure I'm not locked out of my passwords.

I lost access to several accounts because Authy got corrupted and I am in the middle of rebuilding most of my accounts.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Explain how Secret key works and how easy it is to lose access to 1password

Comments

• Hi @edspyhill05:

Great question, and I'm sorry to hear that you were locked out of some of your accounts.

We have a page on the 1Password security model here: About the 1Password security model and some more specifics on the Secret Key here: About your Secret Key

In short, the Secret Key helps keep your data secure when it's not on your device. You need both your Secret Key and your account password to add your 1Password account to a new device and decrypt your vault. It's important to note that your Secret Key can't be used to recover your account password if you forget it, nor can we at 1Password reset your Secret Key for you.

The best way to ensure that you're not locked out of your 1Password account after creating it is printing out a copy of your Emergency Kit, writing your account password on it, and storing it in a safe place (where you'd keep legal / personal documents). This will ensure that if you were to lose all of your devices where you're currently signed in to 1Password, you'd still be able to regain access to your account.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.