Think I'll cancel next year [Generating passwords in 1Password 8]

Options
Cyclobob
Cyclobob
Community Member
edited August 2022 in Mac

I find the new 1Paasword 8 is a backward step. I can no longer just generate a password I have to make a whole new entry with username etc when I just need a password generator, there are loads of negative UI changes that are not improvements and it no longer makes any accurate guesses on accounts. It's a pity as 1P V7 was really OK.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Cyclobob
    Cyclobob
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

• @Cyclobob

There are fixes for some of the problems you describe in the works (suggestions). It could also be a configuration on your end that we might be able to make suggestions for. Have you given thought to trying a beta? If a beta is not your thing, don't worry, we're trying to get the fixes into your hands as soon as possible. We would love to have you stay with us.

If you click the + button and use the password option you can leave off the username if you wish.

• Cyclobob
    Cyclobob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that, I really hope this does get better, I'll try the + option as well.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

If you click the + button and use the password option you can leave off the username if you wish.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that method requires these extra steps:

1. Make the password copyable by clicking Use, then select and copy it.
    2. Click the X in the upper right-hand corner of the New Item window and click Discard Changes.

As far as I can tell, it's faster and easier to use the password generator in the browser extension:

1. Open a browser window and click the 1Password icon in the Toolbar, then click the Settings icon (circle with three horizontal bars) > Password Generator.
    2. Select and copy the password.
    3. Click the X in the upper right-hand corner of the Password Generator to close it. (Or click anywhere in the browser window to close both the Password Generator and the browser extension.)
  • @DavidB

That method you out forth is possibly a good one for your use. I am a heavy desktop user myself so all of my suggestions tend to come from my daily activities. Thanks for pointing this out to the others. I prefer to save my password with that method so I have a record of it. I do not discard any items I create. Then I use drag and drop to place it where it is needed.

YMMV depending on your workflow. Appreciate the assist.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

That method you out forth is possibly a good one for your use

I had in mind the OP's statement, "I can no longer just generate a password I have to make a whole new entry with username etc when I just need a password generator."

This discussion has been closed.