1P8 suggest bug and file download feature

ankhazam
ankhazam
Community Member

Hey,
The 1P8 app has now 2 issues:
1) when opened via the auto fill button in order to find matching entry, did not show them even if explicitly typed the name of the entry... Weird behavior
2) in an entry when you have a file attached, your can only PREVIEW it and I would need to Download/Save to Filesystem as the apps signed for a particular extension might not be the right ones. Hence I have a file I need to open and edit and it is impossible to do it on Android.

Comments

• ankhazam
    ankhazam
    Community Member

Hey @ag_timothy,
    could you have a look into this feedback? ;) I have double checked it know
    1) I go into my 1P8 App, type part of the name of the item/entry in search bar and voila, found... I try to find it when need the password via
    "Open 1Password" crumb in gboard and even though I type the same phrase it is nowhere to be found... The not-findable item has password in the "Server" template should that help you pinpoint the bug
    2) I guess this feature is kinda self-explanatory ;)

I look forward to hearing from you,
    Ankhazam

• Hi @ankhazam thanks for letting us know about these issues.

1) Apologies if I misunderstood, is the item you're searching for through the "Open 1Password" Autofill prompt a Server item? If so, the Server item not appearing in the search would be expected behavior. 1Password 8 for Android can fill Logins, Identities and Credit Card items. Because of this, those are the item types that can be pulled up from the "Open 1Password" Autofill prompt.

2) What file type are you trying to open from an attachment?

Thanks again!

• ankhazam
    ankhazam
    Community Member

Hey,
    1) oh... and why was that limitation enforced? So it basically prevents me from accessing stuff that I need to access and have neatly arranged? Please consider doing this filtering limitation as and opt-in feature in settings...
    2) well the point of my feature request is that this information should be irrelevant to you ;) I have a file attached in my wallet and this file has some intents subscribed for it but none of them is the one I need at the moment... Hence I want to save/export the file from my wallet to my local storage and edit/maninupale with an app of my own preference... an app which can access files in the local storage but not in the wallet ;)

• Hello @ankhazam thanks for following up.

1) The reasoning here would be that the "Open 1Password" button would be used to find and select items to be Autofilled. The "Search 1Password" button from 1Password 7 worked similarly.

I think you make a great point that you might want to pull up passwords in item types that can't be filled so you can copy them over. You can of course open 1Password directly or long press the 1Password icon and tap Open Search but I see the benefit in having more options. I'd be happy to share this feedback with the team.

2) Apologies if my question was invasive. I was able to download a PDF, JPG and PNG from 1Password 8 so I was curious if you were seeing an issue with a particular file type. You are of course welcome to not share that information. With image files you can tap Share then save it to your files. With a PDF you can tap ⋮ > Download (or Save as file).

• ankhazam
    ankhazam
    Community Member

Hey!
    1) Yeah, I know I can... I've done it the hard way... hence I came here with the question why did it work this way, cheers!

2) No, not offensive in any meaning. I apologize if I had sounded so. I just wanted to emphasize the problem idea.
    And the problem is you send the attachment to the android preview intent and you can save yes.. a jpg, a pdf, a png... all because the previewer had that option, not 1Password app, but the 3rd party previewer.
    I am asking for a 1P feature to save the file in the selected directory in my phone storage...
    Finally, should you replicate it the hard way >.<... My phones subscribers to the .ovpn that I want to save to not have the option to save it raw.... only to process/preview within relevant apps.

• Hey @ankhazam thanks for clarifying on both points! And no offense taken, just wanted to make sure we're on the same page!

While I'm not sure it would be something we would see anytime in the near future, I really like the idea of having some edit-ability while keeping files sandboxed in 1Password. I've passed this along to the team for further consideration. Thanks again. If you have any other questions or feedback, just let us know!

• ankhazam
    ankhazam
    Community Member

Noooo.... I don't want to edit the attachments in the 1P app... I just want to have the possibility to do with my files on Android as I please... E.g. get them out of the wallet.

• alkrivitskiy
    alkrivitskiy
    Community Member

+1. I store a configuration file(JSON) with some sensitive data that I just need to import to another app, but there is no button to download it. I don't need to preview it at all. @ag_timothy

• ag_timothy
    edited September 2022

Hello @ankhazam and @alkrivitskiy, thanks again for clarifying. Looks like I've got turned around on this one, I'll blame it on a busy launch week!

I have updated my feedback to better reflect the requests made here. Thanks again for sticking with me!

ref: IDEA-I-1820 ref: IDEA-I-1821

• ankhazam
    ankhazam
    Community Member

Hey @ag_timothy, any updates on those 2 features? ;)

• Hi @ankhazam, thanks for following up. No updates to share. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

• ankhazam
    ankhazam
    Community Member

Hey @ag_timothy , another month has passed and I still cannot download/save a file from my wallet on android :(

• Hi @ankhazam, as mentioned I’ve shared your feedback with our product team for their consideration. While I can certainly see the benefit here, what is added to our pipeline and when it might be implemented is up to the other teams at 1Password. We also tend to play our development plans close to the chest, I'm sorry to say there are no updates to share, my apologies for any frustration.

• ankhazam
    ankhazam
    Community Member

Hey... So already more than 6 months have passed since raising this silly and/or simple feature/bug requests -> I still cannot edit ovpn files attached to my 1 Password on my android phone... the app forces me to preview then and not save in the phone storage. When can I expect this to be resolved?

• Thanks for following up with me @ankhazam. We tend to keep our development plans and timelines close to the chest. I do not have any information to share as to when or if this will be added to 1Password. Thanks for sharing your continued interest!

I'd also like to note that you can download most file types to your device from 1Password for Android they would just need to be re-uploaded after editing: Work with files in the 1Password apps

• ankhazam
    ankhazam
    Community Member

Hey @ag_timothy,
    thanks for your response!

So the misunderstanding we have is that I'm not asking for your backlog or timeline, keep it wherever you want... I'm calling in a bug raised over 6 months ago....

Thank you also for the link. I have just tested it on Android 13 and the .ovpn file can be only previewed. and from the preview panel there is NO SHARE link as in your tutorial... hence I'm stuck with the file in my wallet or the openvpn app.

As for the document type... well I cannot even create such a field, so no... also can NOT download it to my phone.

I look forward to hearing from you with a proposed workaround and/or bugfix.

Ank

• Hi @ankhazam, thanks for your message. I can understand your frustration here and why this important to you. I am very sorry that I do not have more news to share regarding when we'll see a change in behavior here.

I was not able to download an .ovpn file from 1Password for Android without switching the file type before uploading or using the .conf configuration files provided on the Open VPN website. I'm not familiar enough with .ovpn to say if that would invalidate the purpose of the file though.

As for the document type... well I cannot even create such a field, so no... also can NOT download it to my phone.

Is this in reference to your .ovpn files or other documents? You should be able to add attachment fields to any items by tapping add more > Attach a File.

• ankhazam
    ankhazam
    Community Member

Hey, @ag_timothy . As I have already said I'm not interested in your internal timeline... just bump the issue, escalate it etc...

Thank you also for your efforts but does that simply mean that for all the files I have convienently attached on my computer I need to rename them and reattach? I apologize but this cannot be even called a workaround.

As for the document. I was referering to this part of the manual you linked me:

I don't see any "Document" type fields in my wallet. Only File types...

and as I mentioned they only call the "Preview" panel on my Android (Samsung S21).
    Within the panel there is no option to download a file, only to pass it to a relevant application.

Hence all I am asking is that you add an option for "File" type attachments "Save as" which would simply save the file to a selected directory on the phone.

BR,
    Ank

• Thanks for your message @ankhazam.

I've gone ahead and updated the report with your comments here.

I don't see any "Document" type fields in my wallet. Only File types...

That's a great point. The support document would be clearer if it specified any item type with attached files. Document items have a default file section that works the same as a file section added to any other item type. You can open a saved file with the corresponding reader on a device then save it to your files via that application. I've filed an issue with the docs team to look into updating this guide.

For example I have a secure note with a PDF. I can open the secure note then tap the file > Preview. My PDF will open (if a default hasn't been set you should see the option to select a reader) and I can use the PDF reader to save the file to my device.

Thanks again!

ref: 31760858
    ref: dev/web/support.1password.com#

This discussion has been closed.