1Password 8 search

2»

Comments

• Niekie
    Niekie
    Community Member

@AliH1P 1password7 is still better for me. I understand that finding a string everywhere is cool, but not if you have thousands of entries... Can we set/change/add an option to set defaults maybe? Quite a frustration to each through 41 entries where v7 only had 6 for the same search term, not even showing the item I am looking for.

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

@Niekie> "finding a string everywhere is cool, but not if you have thousands of entries... Can we set/change/add an option to set defaults maybe?"

In general, the 1Password settings are impoverished of that sort of option.
    Why should we squabble about search behavior, or details of UI, when we could be given choices?

Does anyone -- ANYONE? -- remember .xdefaults? Everything is configurable.
    (Personally, my first move would be to configure borders for the app's window. White boxes defined by white edges is, at best, a discourtesy.)

• Hey @Niekie, thanks for the feedback. Could you tell me a little more about the results you're getting in 1Password 8 compared to 1Password 7? For instance, is it because those entries are in a specific vault in 1Password 7 while 1Password 8 is searching across all vaults?

Ali

• goodmaninc13
    goodmaninc13
    Community Member

I agree with @Niekie. The "search everywhere" feature is not helpful for anyone with a lot of items. Because previously you're able to target your search to a particular fields. See this example:
    Title - contains - 'chars' <--- ( This only searched the titles. )

On top of this I was able to combine multiple criteria:
    Title - contains - 'chars'
    Notes - contains - 'test'
    (The combo above would search ONLY titles and notes )

So if I had 2 entries with the title containing the word "charset" only 2 entries would return in 1PW7. But now if any part of my thousands of entries contain "chars" anywhere it will come back in the results. There could be hundreds or thousands of results (in my case) for me to still have to manually look. This is a big deal breaker! Going back to 1PW7 until t
    his is fixed. Thanks

• Hello @goodmaninc13,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear this has been a deal breaker for you and that you've decided to return to version 7. I've included your thoughts and a +1 for you in the feature request we're tracking with the product team.

ref: IDEA-I-1061

• PeterG_1P
    edited September 2022

Hi folks! We have a further update to share.

Substring search matching has now made it to the latest Production build of 1Password. To take advantage of this functionality, update to version 8.9.4 or newer (we actually just now released 8.9.5, with an additional unrelated improvement), and you will be good to go.

I hope this comes as welcome news. And as always, we're happy to have your feedback!

• Niekie
    Niekie
    Community Member

This is not working as expected.

Search for an IP. V7 has 4 results, V8 has 41 results, most if which has no matches on the search term.

• maxinegerb
    maxinegerb
    Community Member

I just downloaded version 8 and had the same trouble with searching. When I go to settings => advanced, there is no "release channel" option. I'm going to continue using version 7, and I hope you will continue to support it!

• Hello @Niekie, sorry for the delay in response and that you are seeing a larger number of results when searching and IP address as compared to version 7. I've passed these comments along to the team so they can look into making further improvements where possible. We appreciate this feedback!

ref: IDEA-I-1985

• Hello @maxinegerb,

Thanks for your message and sorry for the troubles you've encountered with version 8 and the release channel.

You're welcome to continue using version 7 for as long as it suits your needs, but version 8 is the way forward. We are no longer developing 1Password 7, but we'll be continuing with critical security updates.

With regard to your troubles when visiting the Settings (Ctrl + Comma) > Advanced** tab in 1Password 8, the Release channel option should appear as below:

If after reinstalling 1Password 8 for Windows this option is still not visible, could you please provide a screenshot of what you are seeing in the Advanced tab? When sending a screenshot, please be sure to redact any personal or private information. Thank you.

• maxinegerb
    maxinegerb
    Community Member

My problem is with 1Password 8 on the iPhone. Will changing the settings on my PC help with that?

• Hello again @maxinegerb,

Thanks for your clarification. Changing this setting on your PC will only affect the version of 1Password 8 installed on that device.

Beta versions of 1Password 8 for iOS are handled through Testflight. Those instructions can be found here under iOS: Use 1Password beta releases

It should be noted that we’ve had an overwhelming interest in our beta of 1Password for iOS and at this time the beta program is filled to capacity. We do not have an ETA on seats being open. Due to unanticipated complexities, we’ve paused our plan to periodically remove inactive testers. We would encourage others who have access to 1Password 8 via TestFlight, but are not actively using it, to try releasing their seat using these instructions:
    1. Launch the TestFlight app on your iOS device
    2. Tap on 1Password 8
    3. Scroll to the bottom and tap ‘Stop Testing’

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

• maxinegerb
    maxinegerb
    Community Member

Ok thanks. I'll stick with version 7 which has all the features I need.

• Happy to help, @maxinegerb!

This discussion has been closed.