1Password crashes sporadically as a background process

For the last several weeks I'll use my key command to bring up 1Password (I knew it as 1Password mini but it appears that nomenclature has been abandoned) to fill in a webpage, launch a terminal window to SSH into a server, etc. only to find my key command to bring up nothing. I then go to Activity Monitor and see that the 1Password process doesn't exist (save for the 1Password Browser Extension, which is still alive). I have to open 1Password manually, and of course unlock again, before the key command works. I'd say this happens 2-3 times a day.

I'm not sure if these crashes correspond to this issue, but I did check the Console app and found two recent crashes for 1Password:

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: 12.2.1
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2022

@monstermac77

That's not good. Can you confirm that you have 1Password > Preferences > General - Keep 1Password in the menu bar enabled. That would not explain the crashes but we should cover that base anyway. Can you create a diagnostics report from your device? That should hopefully help narrow down things.

1. Open 1Password.
      1. Click 1Password in the menu bar.
      2. Click Preferences.
      3. Click Advanced in the new window that appears.
      4. Click Send Diagnostics.
      5. Click Reveal.
      6. Attach the .1pdiagnostics file saved in that folder to your reply.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: monstermac77
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/131655/1password-crashes-sporadically-as-a-background-process#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• monstermac77
    monstermac77
    Community Member

Hi @ag_tommy, thanks very much for your quick reply. I did not have "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" enabled (I like a clean menu bar), so I just enabled it.

Just submitted the diagnostic. Here's the Support ID: [#GNZ-84127-132]

One other thing to note: I'm using an M1 (MacBook Pro 16"); that's probably the most atypical thing about my configuration.

• Thanks. Someone from the team will be with you as soon as possible.

ref: GNZ-84127-132

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member

For what it is worth, I have this happen on my MacPro about once per day at the moment. I'll try to bring up 1P, it's not running, and I'll have to manually restart it. It just silently crashes in the background.

I tried to change from "NIGHTLY" to Beta, as I'm running Beta on my M1 MBP, and the problem does not seem to happen there.

But, shortly after I did this, it went back to NIGHTLY on its own somehow.

Currently 80900009, on NIGHTLY channel, and it crashed overnight. I've upgraded after another Nightly update, so, who knows...

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member

I've been able to reliably re-produce at least ONE cause of a crash of 1P8 on macOS.

If I visit a website which has HTTP based authentication - you know, 0ld sk00l type, with the web site causing your browser to display the small pop-up panel before proceeding - it will reliably cause 1P8 to crash, somehow.

I'm using Safari on macOS 12.5, no beta versions of that, just of 1P8.

Sequence of events:

1. Visit website
    2. Safari displays the panel-pop-up, including the option to remember credentials in the Keychain for next time (NOT selected)
    3. I hit command - \ to bring up the 1P search tool, and I search for the site in question (as 1P8 can NOT fill out these panels), copying the password, but not the username
    4. I type my username
    5. I paste my password

At some point in the next few minutes, 1P8 will silently crash in the background, vanish from the menu bar, and is "locked" an extension in all browsers.

• alexander.b_1P
    edited August 2022

@doetraar Hello! This is an issue that we can better assist you with if we have your diagnostics report. As @ag_tommy posted above, the next time a crash happens, please follow these steps to send a diagnostics report:

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Click 1Password in the menu bar.
    3. Click Preferences.
    4. Click Advanced in the new window that appears.
    5. Click Send Diagnostics.
    6. Click Reveal.
    7. Attach the .1pdiagnostics file saved in that folder to your reply.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: doetraar
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/131655/1password-crashes-sporadically-as-a-background-process#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member

Hi @alexander.b_1P - I was going to do that, but, the diagnostics file was some 260MB in size, and it seemed a bit vast to send by email. I will have a go the next time it crashes though, as it happens now several times per day.

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member

And @alexander.b_1P the support number is [#ZFT-98128-854]

• Thank you @doetraar, I can confirm that we've received your message. Our team members will follow up with you over there! 👍

This discussion has been closed.