Cleanup function

Zerosan
Zerosan
Community Member

Hi there 1Password team,
I do not think this is a feature of this password manager yet!
A cleanup helper would be nice, to get rid of the entries whose url points to signup, register, reset and password forgotten urls.
Maybe even suggesting the correct url for login if it's known (I assume you have a DB such as this given the change password function going to the right point in the website at times)

1Password Version: 8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Firefox, Chrome

Comments

• Hello @Zerosan,

I can see where this type tool could be useful to help clean up the URLs items pointing to the different types mentioned. We can't make any promises about when or even if such a feature can be implemented, but I'm happy to pass along this suggestion to the team by way of a feature request for consideration.

Thanks for taking the time to submit this request.

ref: IDEA-I-1466

• rgsherr
    rgsherr
    Community Member

Agree with Zerosan. 1Password creates and fills in the new password but leaves another link with the old password there and then, in my limited experience, seems to frequently choose that link with the old password when I try to use autofill. Then it also makes two new links with two different generated passwords so I have to go in and reveal each of the generated passwords and hopefully I remember which one worked and then delete the other one. Not very easy. I've found the best way when working with sites that have older passwords is to simply delete all the passwords for the site stored in 1Password and then go to the site, tell it you forgot the password and then have 1password generate a new one as if it's a completely new site.

• Hey @rgsherr, thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you have multiple items created for certain websites rather than a URL/link issue. Do you find this occurs after changing the password for these websites?

Under normal circumstances, when changing a password, 1Password in your browser will prompt you to update the existing item:

Are you noticing different behaviour on specific websites where you're instead getting prompted to save a new item entirely? That could explain why you have multiple entries for those websites.

Looking forward to your reply!

Ali

• Zerosan
    Zerosan
    Community Member

@ag_mike_d understandable given the potential complexity of the request, thank you for the response 👍

• rgsherr
    rgsherr
    Community Member

Yes, the problem is I made the mistake of importing my Chrome logins and for a number of sites there are now multiple entries in 1Password. Unless I delete all the multiple entries for these sites it becomes a mess when trying to login and create a new 1password password. After creating the password, if I haven't guessed the password login that the site wants, it doesn't work. Have to go back and keep trying and usually after 1Password creates a password for one of the logins that's the one it wants to use. So I have to delete that site login in 1password and keep trying. I'm sorry I ever imported the Chrome logins. More trouble than it's worth.

• @Zerosan, you're most welcome! 😀

@rgsherr, thanks for letting us know that the problem was with multiple imported Chrome logins. To confirm, once you've deleted the duplicate entries for a given site, things are working as expected?

• rgsherr
    rgsherr
    Community Member

Actually I'm finding that the best thing to do is to delete all entries in 1Password for the site, tell it I forgot the password and treat it as a new entry. If I delete all but 1 entry and use autofil, 1Password leaves the old incorrect entry in its database and instead of using the new entry keeps trying to use the old one.

• Appreciate the update here, @rgsherr! For these particular cases multiple imported items, I'm happy to hear you've been able to get things working by deleting the extras a creating a new entry for those sites. Please let us know if you have any further concerns.

This discussion has been closed.