What happened to the Password Generator?

CapeGabe
CapeGabe
Community Member

I could right click on the bottom right 1Password icon and choose a password generator that I could set the parameters to. What happened to it? Was it moved? Was it removed? It was a very helpful feature as I don't often like the suggested password being too long.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: Win 10 64
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hey @CapeGabe, thanks for reaching out. The password generator in 1Password 8 is only available through editing or creating an item. It will appear once the password field is selected > Create a New Password. While I can't make any promises, we do currently have an internal request opened to add the password generator to the system tray and Quick Access as it is in 1Password 7. I'll be sure to add your voice to show our developers that there is interest in this feature.

In the meantime, if you need to generate passwords without creating a login, you can use the password generator within 1Password in your Browser:

1. Click on the 1Password extension icon in your browser.
    2. Click on the Password Generator (Key Icon).
    3. Change the Type from Smart Password to Random Password.
    4. Adjust the password parameters to suit your needs.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Ali

• CapeGabe
    CapeGabe
    Community Member

Thank you. Wasn't exactly as you described it (not key icon, 3 line settings icon) but now at least have control again. Please do pass on the request to return it to the system tray. Thanks again.

• Hi @CapeGabe,

Thanks for getting back to us with this update. For others seeing this discussion, as mentioned, this option has moved to the 1Password in the browser Settings menu > Password Generator as depicted below:

To confirm, we've passed your request to see the password generator make a return to the 1Password 8 app via the system tray icon.

ref: IDEA-I-298

• JoesCat
    JoesCat
    Community Member

+1 !! "To confirm, we've passed your request to see the password generator make a return to the 1Password 8 app via the system tray icon."

• +1 added to the tally, @JoesCat. Thank you!

• bndt206
    bndt206
    Community Member

+1
    We use it when generating passwords for user and service account and in applictions, so using it via a browser is not a good option.

• dylbohn
    dylbohn
    Community Member

+1 - would love to see the ability to generate passwords via the desktop application outside of creating a new item.

• Hi @bndt206 and @dylbohn,

Thanks for your feedback here about the password generator - I've cast votes on your behalf!

ref: IDEA-I-298

This discussion has been closed.