iPhone PIN if Face ID fails (1Password 8)

Options
bm206
bm206
Community Member

Hello forum,

if i used autofill in Version 7, Face ID is popping up and all is good. But if Face ID doesn't work (perhaps because of face mask or in very dark rooms) I only have to use my iPhone PIN and autofill works.
Yesterday I installed version 8 and it is absolute horror. There is no PIN Code coming up if Face ID fails. I have to use the 1Password password. And this is very long. Please change this! I went back to version 7.

Thx

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for restoring the PIN option in 1P8. It seems fine to me in general, but I use an iPod Touch as a bedside reading device, and with no PIN there's no way to log in without typing my entire master password. I deleted and went back to 1P7 on that device.

• bm206
    bm206
    Community Member
    Options

BTW, iOS Safari extension is DISABLED. I prefer to use the OS built-in autofill solution.

• mburnett
    mburnett
    Community Member
    Options

+1
    so many features removed, yet we’re paying the same subscription price…

• Tantumonium
    Tantumonium
    Community Member
    Options

Well… I wish I knew they were removing PIN unlock BEFORE installing version 8.

My Face ID is broken on my phone and my Master Password is 16 digits of cryptic hell!

REMOVING THE PIN OPTION IS NOT ACCEPTABLE AND HAS MADE 1PASSWORD UNUSABLE

Hey, @Dave… you need to put this option back under Settings > Advanced > Security … ASAP

• shadowplayer
    shadowplayer
    Community Member
    Options

I have similar issues. With v7 you could have a few Face ID fails before it prompts for a master password. But with v8 any Face ID error forces a Mater password entry. V7 experience was better for this scenario.

• DrWhoZee
    DrWhoZee
    Community Member
    Options

The fact that a SINGLE Face ID fail (face masks anyone at 1Password?) will prompt for the master password is a REAL PAIN.

• I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback, I've added your voices to the conversation around bringing PIN code unlock to 1Password 8.

When Face ID fails on my device I see the following option:

@DrWhoZee Do you see the same option? If you don't then are you running iOS 16.1.2 and do you have the following iPhone feature enabled: Use Face ID while wearing a mask with iPhone 12 and later - Apple Support (CA)

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-1222

• Tantumonium
    Tantumonium
    Community Member
    Options

Bottom line… while a PIN code isn’t the best security, biometrics can easily be (and are already being) used globally against the will of people detained (rightfully or not) by “the authorities”.

It's disappointing that upon its release and my quick discovery of the PIN removal, I had to stop recommending 1Password v8 to friends, family, and clients… and can no longer support its use by anyone even slightly security conscious.

1Password is such a great tool otherwise... I really hope you fix this issue soon.

• DrWhoZee
    DrWhoZee
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

@Dave_1P no, it fails straight away and goes for the password prompt.

I am aware of the Apple blurb re masks — however, that only works sometimes. If it does not, I usually (with other apps) get a second chance or can enter my PIN to unlock.

Yes I do have iOS 16.1.2 and I do have Face ID with mask enabled.

This discussion has been closed.