Biometric unlock unavailable but is should be

Options
lammi5645523
lammi5645523
Community Member

Hi,

I am trying to enable biometric unlock (face recognition) in 1Password on my android phone (Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G). When enabling it in the security settings, I get an error message which says I must have at least one biometric on the phone before I can continue. The full message is as follows:

"Biometric Unlock Unavailable
Biometric Unlock could not be enabled because an error occurred: java.security.InvalidAlgorithParameterException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: At least one biometric must be enrolled to create keys requiring user authentication for every use."

I already have face recognition enabled and working on my phone. I use it with Microsoft Authenticator for example. I don't know why it is not working with 1Password. Do I need to register a finger print as well? I use a privacy glass protector on my phone and it makes registering and reading a fingerprint rather difficult. I would prefer not removing the glass protector if possible as reinstalling it will get dust and dirt under it.

Here is what I have done so far:

• Updating 1Password to the latest version
  • Registering an additional face scan
  • Deleting existing face scans and registering a new one
  • Uninstalling 1Password and installing it again

Can you help me with this one? Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 12
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:biometric unlock unavailable

Comments

• Hello @lammi5645523 thanks for your question. There are a few device requirements in order to enable face unlock with 1Password. 1Password requires devices to use Google's native Biometric framework as well as use strong encryption. To clarify, many devices have a facial scanner, but may not support Google's native Biometric framework as well as support strong encryption. Part of that support includes requirements for a 3d sensing camera. Currently, these requirements are met by a limited number of Android devices. To my knowledge, the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G does not include a 3d sensing front facing camera

With face unlock unavailable, you can use a fingerprint for Biometric unlock or adjust the auto-lock frequency from Settings > Security.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask!

• jobl
    jobl
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar issue, but was trying to use Fingerprint instead if face. 1Password does not show the option to unlock with fingerprint, but does show unlock with face. When I enabled unlock with face, it uses my S20 FE's fingerprint to unlock (no face unlock is setup on my phone).

This is probably a label issue on 1Password, but might also be Samsung giving the wrong biometric information?

• Hi @jobl, thanks for joining us on the forum!

It sounds like you're referring to a bug with 1Password 8 for Android. Currently, if a device has a facial scanner, the wording for Biometric unlock will default to Face unlock even if Face unlock is not on or available with 1Password on the device. If you have a fingerprint registered, tapping Face unlock on will enable fingerprint unlock in 1Password 8 for Android.

Our development team is aware of this issue and working to make a fix available. Thanks for letting us know it has been an issue for you!

• bugs
    bugs
    Community Member
    Options

I"f you have a fingerprint registered, tapping Face unlock on will enable fingerprint unlock in 1Password 8 for Android"

No it does not do that!

• Hi @bugs, I'm sorry to hear this has been an issue for you! You mentioned in another thread that you managed to get things working. If you're still running into issues with biometric unlock, please let us know!

This discussion has been closed.