Error starting 1p after updating from different account

Options

I had this problem two times now:

I install 1p8 beta from the downloaded installer as user A. Being asked for admin password on install, all ok. I switch to the account of user B and can use 1p8 without problems. Switching users works without problems.

Then while working as user B I get the notification that 1p wants to update. I agree, do the update, working as user B is alright.

But when I after the update switch to user A, 1p cannot be launched, I get the message "1Password cannot be opened because of a problem". More details can be seen in the attached screenshot. I have to delete /Applications/1Password.app and rerun the installer. Which now has downloaded the latest version, so I cannot reproduce this until the next update is available.

Is this a known problem? The next time I'll get the info about an update I'll do it from the user A and see if this works.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7

Comments

• Hi @pjm:

This definitely isn't the experience we want you to have. Are both user A and user B administrators of this Mac? Let me know, and I'll be able to investigate further with you.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#14740

• pjm
    pjm
    Community Member
    Options

They both are definitely not administrators (you aren't working as admin, are you?). When I had this issue for the first time I noticed the the files belonged to user B after the update. I tried in both the finder and with a "chmod -r user.group" in the application directory to change ownership back to A, but this did not work out and I reinstalled after deleting.

In installation, the installer asked for the admin user and password and so could install.

But I sometimes don't get how macOS is handling this. I install as user A, during installation I enter the admin user and password, the installed files in /Applications/1Password.app belong to a.staff with mostly 755 or 644 rights.

So I guess that in the update process done by user B some files are not updated (It was asking for admin credentials) correctly so that the rights for user A aren't sufficient.

I would try it again if I had the older version available, but I only have the installer that always downloads the latest.

• pjm
    pjm
    Community Member
    Options

So today I had the chance to gather some more information as there was a new version available.
    To remember: I installed 1p as user aaaaa (that's how I named them in the files I append) and I am updating as user bbbbb. Neither of these has admin rights. In both cases, initial install and update I was asked to enter admin credentials.

Before the update, I did a ls -lR in the /Applications/1Password.app directory, the output of this I'll attach.
    I then started the update as user bbbbb and then did a ls -LR again, this output is attached as well.

When logging as as bbbbb and logging in as aaaaa, I get the same error that 1password cannot be started, I have to reinstall it to have it working.

Hope the attached files help.

Just noticed that I cannot attach .txt files, I uploaded them here: https://my.hidrive.com/share/q.cv6.4thy (folder is accessible for 3 weeks)

• pjm
    pjm
    Community Member
    Options

"When logging as as bbbbb" should be "When logging in as bbbbb@

• Hello @pjm, thank you for the detailed update. This is a puzzling issue, which we'll be interested to get to the bottom of.

Thank you for linking us to those .txt files as well. However, I'm sorry to say, our security policies (for good reason) prohibit us from clicking on links here.

However, we do have an alternative: could you send a brief email to support@1Password.com, with a link to this discussion? That way, we can benefit from the excellent write-up of the issue you've done here (and you won't have to tell the whole thing again), and we'll be able to check out those files if you include them as attachments as well.

Thanks for your understanding, and we'll hope to hear from you! 👋

• pjm
    pjm
    Community Member
    Options

Now this got me finally f.. up in one of the accounts. I was updating in one account and could not start from the second. I then tried to reinstall 1p from the second one, but I can only install 1p 8 for Mac. When trying to start that version I get a window

"Youu've used a newer version of 1Password on this device. Update to the latest version to keep using 1Password. Contact suppport..."
    I think I had the 1p 8 beta for Mac previously. But I cannot download this. The download I get is for 8 release.

Which files do I need to delete to be able to use the 1p8 for Mac release version?

• pjm
    pjm
    Community Member
    Options

any progress on this? I keep on having to delete the installed app, the preferences and data files and reinstall the application after an update

• rob
    Options

Hey, @pjm. I was just scanning the forum and found some old posts like this one that we missed. Sorry about that! Are you still having trouble with the latest version of 1Password on your Mac?

• pjm
    pjm
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, updated to version 8.8.0 in account A yesterday. When now switching to account B I get

Trying to open from Finder

The report shows

So it still the same error

This discussion has been closed.