1Password 8 search UX is terrible compared to 1Password 7

Can we change the searching experience back to the way it was in 1Password 7?

The user experience of searching items in 1Password 8 is terrible compared to 1Password 7. Each of our customers have their own vault with a lot of entries and we HEAVILY rely on the searching capability in 1Password 7. I have not heard one positive comment since our employees have started switching to 1Password8.

If I'm in a vault, I only want to search that vault by clicking the search bar (I don't want to have to use a keyboard shortcut for this). Also, I like automatically seeing the results in the middle pane where I can easily click through to find the correct item I'm looking for. We have many login entires that are very similar so we often have to click through several to make sure we find the right login entry. Why require an extra click or keyboard shortcut for this? You're making the UX way too complicated for every day end users.

I also liked the ability to search for a specific vault in our vault list. Why remove this?

All searching has drastically gone downhill and is honestly making me consider switching our company away from 1Password.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 8 search UX is terrible compared to 1Password 7

Comments

• Hello @spenceryork,

Thanks for the feedback on searching in 1Password 8, and for the information on your workflow. While I've added your voice to our tracking on this feature request, I'd also like to share a few work arounds that may help to use 1Password 8.

• Check our guide to Search 1Password to find what you need. The section search filters may be especially useful as you can have search results for a single vault. Specify the vault filter before any search terms, like this: =vault:Private Okta
    • When searching, the last entry in the search results will move all the search results to the main window, so you can inspect each item. There is also a keyboard shortcut for this: Cmd + Return (on Mac) or Ctrl + Enter (on Windows).
    • When viewing your account on 1Password.com, it's possible to open a single vault, and any search results would be limited to that vault instead of all vaults.

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions

ref: IDEA-I-1454
    ref: IDEA-I-1480

• mburnett
    mburnett
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

Do you guys hear yourselves? Even as a developer, I think removing UI and making users learn esoteric search filters or remember that it works differently (i.e. the way it should work everywhere) on the website is insane. I’m among the numerous users complaining about the toll that these nonsensical changes have on our elderly parents, who were already struggling to keep up with what was a great and well designed app. Now, instead of “just go to the top and search, wherever you are”, you really think users who need hand holding just to download an app are going to learn a query language? It’s really mind boggling.

And all of these feature changes and removals… for what? I like writing code in a shiny new language or framework as much as the next dev, but most of us know that your actual users’ experience with your product should be your top priority. You’ve had over a year of paid customers’ telling you that these UI/UX changes are terrible and your excuses for them are lame. What is it going to take for you to listen?

• techtherapy
    techtherapy
    Community Member

+1

• ScottS1P
    edited August 2022

Hi @mburnett,

Thank you for the feedback on 1Password 8. Please rest assured that we are listening, and your feedback is being reviewed by the team here at 1Password. Your point that the search filters aren't ideal is well heard, and the thought of teaching this to my own parents seems like it would be frustrating. I chose to share here because they are an option for more advanced users in a team or business context.

I'm not in a position to say if or when any changes will be coming, but with 1Password 8 being a wholly new app, I think it's safe to say that improvements are coming. Consider Using 1Password beta releases, or the watch 1Password Releases Notes to be the first to try the new features and let us know if they are helping you.

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions

• fdavis99
    fdavis99
    Community Member

V7 iOS has search on top of all tabs except Settings. Please bring that back!

One issue in v7 is that you have to cancel the search or select an item to see tabs again. Why hide them during search?

• Hello @fdavis99,

Thanks for your feedback on searching in 1Password 8 for iOS. I've shared this with the team, but cannot promise if or when the search UI might change.

ref: IDEA-I-1558

One issue in v7 is that you have to cancel the search or select an item to see tabs again. Why hide them during search?

I'm not sure if you meant v7 or v8 here, but most interfaces that require the iOS keyboard will obscure the tab bar at the bottom of the screen. If you scroll the list of search item, this will usually dismiss the keyboard and reveal the tab bar again. I just tested this on v8 and it's possible to view the tab bar in this way.

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions.

• assemblymarton
    assemblymarton
    Community Member

I have to agree with this, I want to type in 'nuke' in the search bar and hit the enter button and have all the matched entries available, why on earth would I want the default behavior to be 'go to first matched entry'....

• Hello @assemblymarton,

Thanks for sharing your feedback on searching in 1Password 8. I've added your voice to our tracking on this topic.

ref: IDEA-I-1823

• nciiis
    nciiis
    Community Member

OMG yes please, new search is not as good unfortunately.

• Hello @nciiis,

Thanks for adding your voice to this feature request. I've updated our internal notes with your comments.

ref: IDEA-I-1691

• opion1983
    opion1983
    Community Member

1P8 search is terrible, We have more than 100 Vaults, we can't search for vaults and we can't search within the vault we are in. This is such a backward move. Uninstalling 1P8 and going back to 1P7.

• Hey @opion1983,

We have more than 100 Vaults, we can't search for vaults and we can't search within the vault we are in.

Were you able to try any of the tips I shared above in this thread? Searching within a vault should be possible, and you can now press Ctrl + F or Cmd + F when viewing a vault to search with the relevant vault filter already prefilled.

Would you also mind elaborating about your use case for searching for vaults themselves? This is the first time I've heard this come up and I'd be happy to share your situation with the team.

Thank you,

• PasswordSchmassword
    PasswordSchmassword
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Hey Guys,
    Have you considered just using some simple operators on your searches? You know, like =vault:Private Okta OR =vault:Private Ooma NOT=vault:private goober
    :-D :-D :-D

• Thanks for the input, @PasswordSchmassword. I've added your voice to the feature requests for searching in 1Password 8.

ref: IDEA-I-1042
    ref: IDEA-I-2028

• computeruser
    computeruser
    Community Member

I just wanted to hop in and say how valuable even something as simple as an on/off toggle in the options for something like "Only search items in current selected vault" would be, which when "On" would restrict search results to the vault you currently have selected. With a large number of vaults, search is mostly unusable, and there's really no way I'm going to get all my staff to learn + use esoteric text filters 😩

• Hello @computeruser,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've added your voice to our tracking for this feature request.

• Wells
    Wells
    Community Member

I was browsing the patch notes and I found this:

https://releases.1password.com/b5x/stable/

(specifically the "Vault Selection is Back!" section)

Does this mean that this feature is coming to the desktop apps as well? 🙏🥺

• Hi @Wells,

Does this mean that this feature is coming to the desktop apps as well?

This is only available in beta right now, but I suspect it's the news you want to hear:

1Password for Mac 8.9.10-9
    You can now choose a default vault to save new items in.

https://releases.1password.com/mac/beta/#:~:text=You can now choose a default vault to save new items in.

1Password for Windows 8.9.10-9
    You can now choose a default vault to save new items in.

https://releases.1password.com/windows/beta/#:~:text=You can now choose a default vault to save new items in.

Generally features that are in beta will be released to our production build once testing is done, but it's impossible to say how long that process will take, or if we could potentially find an issue that causes us to pull the feature. I don't think that is likely to happen, but it's not impossible.

If you'd like to try the beta, see our guide to Use 1Password beta releases.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Wells
    Wells
    Community Member

Hi @ScottS1P, thanks for the info! I'm a little unclear- is the feature you linked to/highlighted one by which I can pick a vault, and only see items from that vault (for the purposes of search/filtering)? That's how it currently works in the browser plugin. I'm just not sure if that's what's meant by "pick a default vault to save items in".

Thanks!

• Hi @Wells,

It seems I may have misunderstood your question. I linked to a new feature that allows you to pick a default vault for saving new items. It's a highly requested feature, but I see now that's it's not related to what you asked about. Sorry about that.

If you'd like the option to search or filter your views by vault in 1Password 8, that's already possible:

1. Open the 1Password app
    2. Click a vault in the sidebar.
    3. Press Cmd + F (mac) or Ctrl + F (windows) and the search box will be focused with a filter for the vault prefilled.

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

• Wells
    Wells
    Community Member

Awesome, that works for now!

• @Wells

I'm happy that Scott was able to help. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.