V8 gripes

Options
ajastanax
ajastanax
Community Member

Folks, I thought I let you know my gripes with the new version 8 (run on a Samsung tablet).
The GUI looks nicer and the ability to search within entries (all matching objects) is very welcome, but there are a couple of issues that make using the app quite annoying - at least compared to version 7

1. What I usually do upon opening the app is searching for an entry. It takes me four interactions to get to the "search" field - three if upon closing the app "search" was NOT selected (if it starts with search being selected in the menu, the main screen does not show the search field). This is really annoying. Maybe let me configure a search field on the home screen?
  2. Selecting an item in the menu does not automatically minimize the menu bar. Why would I want to stay there if I selected something like "search" or "all objects"?
  3. long pressing a field no longer copies that field.
  4. longer item names are truncated in the list on the left
  5. the archive is not copied over from V7

I think the V8 moves in the right direction - it just is not there yet ;)

Cheers
Alex

1Password Version: 8.9.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 12
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Feeling a few gripes too. Using Android 12 on Samsung M51 and Tab S8 devices.
    Firstly I would like to say V8 looks good so far, and the app works on both mobile and tablet. Also BRAVO 🙂 on the "Show in Large Type" feature which now matches that of the browser version (see attached photo from M51, which is just an example and not a real password), but on the M51 the digits are slightly snipped at the bottom of each character in the password, but on the Tab S8 it appears fine.
    Other gripes..... The scroll bar in V7 was better than in V8 when looking through Logins. The scroll bar for both devices (especially the M51) is way too narrow and you cannot quick scroll towards the end of a list anymore.

And Yes the long hold feature on a field to copy the contents is gone too, as per point 3 from @ajastanax above.

On the tablet log in screen it switches between portrait and landscape, but once logged in, the app only works in landscape. I don't believe V7 behaved like this.

• AdmitOne
    AdmitOne
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

V8 only shows the face unlock biometric option and no fingerprint unlock option (which I have been using for some time with the prior version).

• wardog45
    wardog45
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue as AdmitOne: I used to have biometric fingerprint unlock, now it's just face.

• hawklet00
    hawklet00
    Community Member
    Options

ive got fingerprint unlock working on my 4a5g, but it doesnt ask for any password or fingerprint when im tapping on a username or password field in an app or website in the chrome browser. it automatically shows the logins, even though i have the 1password app set to immediately lock when i close it.

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member
    Options

@AdmitOne @wardog45 - Noticed that on 1st use of biometric fingerprint unlock you need to enter the password. After doing that on all my devices, biometric fingerprint log in appears to work OK.

• Hello @ajastanax, thanks for sharing your feedback!

1) Thanks for letting us know this has been a hitch for you, this sort of feedback is very important to us. I agree the extra steps to search on tablets can feel a bit cumbersome. There is ongoing discussion internally about introducing some other search options. Hopefully we'll see something that better suits your workflow in the future!

2) I've been using tablets more recently and had a similar thought, especially in portrait mode where the menu takes up a bigger portion of the screen. I can see our development team has an issue open looking into this.

3) Long story short, we want to make sure long press behavior is consistent across platforms and feels natural. While I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password, we would like to include long press to copy or otherwise improve the copy workflow in the future.

4) On tablets and phones I've noticed the same thing. I'm curious if you would prefer to see the title extended to a second line? Have you run into any scenarios where the truncation has led to selecting the wrong item from your list?

5) Just to make sure we're on the same page, when you installed and signed into 1Password 8 for Android your Archive section was empty? Do Archived items still appear on 1Password.com or other 1Password apps?

ref: dev/core/core#16681
    ref: dev/core/core#14649

• Hello @uwalakab, thanks for joining the conversation!

but on the M51 the digits are slightly snipped at the bottom of each character in the password

I've not seen the same with any of the devices I have on hand. Have you increased the text size or screen zoom on your device or made any changes to the draw size?

The scroll bar in V7 was better than in V8 when looking through Logins.

I can definitely see the benefit of a scroll bar scrubber similar to 1Password 7 for Android and I would be happy to pass this along to the team!

On the tablet log in screen it switches between portrait and landscape, but once logged in, the app only works in landscape.

That certainly doesn't sound right. To clarify, after unlocking 1Password the app does not switch between landscape and portrait for you? In portrait mode do you see a blank screen or some other expected behavior?

And thanks for your assist!

• Hello @Admitone and @wardog45, thanks for weighing in!

It sounds like you're referring to a known issue with 1Password 8 for Android. Currently, if a device has a facial scanner, the wording for Biometric unlock will default to Face unlock even if Face unlock is not on or available with 1Password on the device. If you have a fingerprint registered, tapping Face unlock on will enable fingerprint unlock in 1Password 8 for Android.

Our development team is aware of this issue and working to make a fix available. Thanks for letting us know it has been an issue for you!

Hi @hawklet00, it looks like you asked a similar question in another thread. I've followed up with you there. Thanks again!

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi @ag_timothy - Many thanks for your replies

I've not seen the same with any of the devices I have on hand. Have you increased the text size or screen zoom on your device or made any changes to the draw size?

You were correct. I've made the text size setting as shown and it's all OK now 🙂 (see attached photos). Originally it was one more than shown. Do you think going forward it's something that might be addressed for anyone who wants to adjust the font size on their device(s)?

UPDATE - I've seen this happen in some other apps so I think this may be a common problem. 🤔

I can definitely see the benefit of a scroll bar scrubber similar to 1Password 7 for Android and I would be happy to pass this along to the team!

Awesome! 👍Many thanks.

That certainly doesn't sound right. To clarify, after unlocking 1Password the app does not switch between landscape and portrait for you? In portrait mode do you see a blank screen or some other expected behavior?

This seems to have been cleared too. This is now OK, on both phone and tablet. 👍

Best regards.

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi @ag_timothy - Many thanks for your replies

You were correct. I've made the text size setting as shown and it's all OK now. Originally the text setting was one level up from that shown. I think this may be a common problem across all apps.

Awesome! 👍Many thanks.

This seems to have been cleared too. This is now OK on both phone and tablet.

Best regards.

• Hello @uwalakab thanks for following up with me.

I was able to replicate the issue with text size scaling and I've reported this to the developers. You should be able to use the show in large type feature regardless of your text size preference. Thanks for taking the time to check that yourself!

Glad to hear the issue with tablet orientation has resolved. If you run into any similar issues, just let us know!

Thanks again!

• ajastanax
    ajastanax
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ag_timothy,
    sorry for the late reply...

ad 4) the search results are fine. It'd be niche if long titles were extended to a second line, yes.

ad 5) the archive is there on the web version and in the version 7. It just didn't get moved to version 8. No biggie, just sayin'

Cheers

• fdavis99
    fdavis99
    Community Member
    Options

++ Universal search field on all tabs. That’s my biggest loss from 1P v7.

• Thanks for following up @ajastanax. Archived items should sync across your account. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from 1Password 8 on your Android device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

You can attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks again!

• Thanks for sharing your interest @fdavis99. +1 has been added.

• ajastanax
    ajastanax
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy, I've sent the diagnostics.
    No BitBot reply, though, sorry.

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member
    Options

My apologies @ag_timothy but the forum went a bit weird when I made my post back then. The post I made disappeared for a brief moment, so I thought it was deleted, recreated it again and now there are two of the "Much B3Tt3r" posts.
    Kind regards,
    Benet.

• ajastanax
    ajastanax
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

@ag_timothy, the archived items have indeed been transferred.
    I am just too stupid to use an app.
    Sorry about that.

• Hi @uwalakab, that's no problem! Let us know if we can help with anything else.

@ajastanax, thanks for the update. That's no problem, I'm just glad to hear that it was resolved! Personally, I like to blame the hot summer on any sort of minor oversight 😂. Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.