Not Filling Passwords using Keyboard

anzilone
anzilone
Community Member
edited August 2022 in Android

Yesterday I installed 1Password 8 (Beta) from the Play Store. When I try to fill passwords using Keyboard, it doesn't fill and the keyboard also closing automatically. I tried with different keyboard apps.

Comments

• Hello @anzilone thanks for letting us know about this issue.

When I try to fill passwords using Keyboard, it doesn't fill and the keyboard also closing automatically.

Which keyboard did you first see this behavior with? When you tap a username or password field do you see a prompt from 1Password? If so, does tapping the prompt dismiss your keyboard or cause the prompt to disappear? Thanks again!

• anzilone
    anzilone
    Community Member

I saw this first on SwiftKey Keyboard. It prompts password and username but when I tap it, it dismiss and close the keyboard application.

• palmen
    palmen
    Community Member

I faced with similar issue. I see the suggestion from 1password for username and password but after tap it, the keyboard closed and nothing applied to fields. On 1password v7 I don't have such problem.

1password 8: ver 8.9.0
    Keyboard: gboard
    Browser: Chrome
    Android: 11 miui 12.5

• rivasyafri
    rivasyafri
    Community Member

Hi,
    I am faced with similar issue like palmen had. Here is what I use.

1password8 v8.9.0
    Keyboard: Both GBoard or Emoji Keyboard
    Android 11 with MIUI 13 (for POCO)

All apps cannot do autofill even-though I already configured the Autofill to 1Password and toggle the Autofill in the 1Password apps.
    All apps includes Chrome or Edge.

It works for my Samsung device with Android 12 OneUI 4.1

• jsalh
    jsalh
    Community Member

Same issue - things were working great; however, over the last few updates it appears to take a giant step backwards.
    H/W : Surface Duo 2
    Keyboard : Microsoft Swiftkeyboard Beta
    1Password : v8.9.1-28.Beta

When I login apps (RBC Mobile Banking, OpenVPN, Synology Apps, etc, etc.. nothing happens. No drop down options above the field, no selection options in the keyboard. However, on other apps like Quicken it works (the keyboard displays account to select). Before it was working for all my apps.

On websites - it appears to be working normally.

• anzilone
    anzilone
    Community Member

An update from the officials would be appreciated.

• anzilone
    anzilone
    Community Member

Hey Everyone,

Check this blog post. This could help you to fix the issue.

https://www.socialpositives.com/2022/08/1password-not-filling-passwords/

• Daseka
    Daseka
    Community Member

Hi, I don't have that permission to enable on my phone it's an Android 12L and I'm also using swiftkey as keyboard.

• jsalh
    jsalh
    Community Member

Same as Daseka - don't have the option on my phone - On Android 11 (build 2022.519.47)... nor can I find any option that would be similar in nature that I can apply to 1password or the Swiftkey keyboard.

• David_FR06
    David_FR06
    Community Member

Hi, filling issue for me as well.
    I have 1Password app 8.9.0. on my Android Xiaomi (android version 11RKQ1). No filling of any field! Even when 1password options are displayed on keyboard (rarely happens), nothing happens.
    This makes 1P app hardly usable on the smartphone 😐

• anzilone
    anzilone
    Community Member

Hey David_FRO6,

I also use Xiaomi. I use Redmi Note 11 and after the setting, now it is working perfectly.

• Hello @anzilone, @David_FR06, @jsalh, @Daseka, @palmen, @rivasyafri, apologies for our delay in response!

As a few have noted, if you're using a Xiaomi device, you may need to turn Display pop-up windows on. You can enable that setting with these steps:
    1. Open your device settings.
    1. Tap Apps > Manage apps > 1Password 8 > Other permissions.
    1. Tap "Display pop-up windows while running in the background" on.

Jsalh, you noted that filling is working in your browser but not with apps. I tested RBC and Synology Drive. With RBC I found the same issue and have reported it to the team. With Synology Drive, I could fill as expected. You can try updating to the current version of 1Password 8 for Android to see if this issue continues for you.

There were a few different Open VPNs available in Google Play. Could you specify which along with any other apps where you've seen this behavior? I'd be happy to test them and pass any issues along to the developers.

Daseka, are you seeing a similar issue to Jsalh where filling works in your browser but not with the apps you use? Could you share any additional details about the filling behavior you see?

Thanks again.

• jsalh
    jsalh
    Community Member

Thanks for looking into this .. here some of the info you requested:

Version Information:
    Hardware: Surface Duo 2
    OS Version: Android 11 (2022.519.47) with August Updates applied
    Keyboard : Microsoft SwiftKey Beta
    1Password Version: 8.9.2 Beta (nothing new comes up when I do Check for Updates)

1Password Info:

These are all the permissions settings available for 1Password

There is no other place where I can find a “Display pop-up windows while running in the background” setting or similar in nature. There is “Display Over Other Apps” settings – but 1Password is not even an option to enable or disable in the list of apps

So Apps that don't work at all :

• The VPN is OpenVPN version 3.3.0 (8367)
    • RBC
    • Coast Capital (Credit Union)
    • FLO (EV APP)

Apps/Sites that work partially:

-For Synology Web Interface it worked before for both username and password fields, now it appears to be only working for the password field (username has an icon):

-Same behavior for the Capital One app – username field – it doesn’t pop up when in the username field, and when you fill the password field it will leave the username field blank.

Overall for some apps it works normally, others it only works with the password field, and then for some - it doesn't trigger at all.

• jsalh
    jsalh
    Community Member

Additional Update...

So the OpenVPN doesn't work at all (it doesn't trigger 1Password)

But other apps that appear not to work (in particular RBC) ... start to work after I use the "Link To Windows" feature and open up the Phone Link app on by desktop -- RBC will start to work on the phone.. it will continue to work even after I have disabled the Phone Link connection. However, when I close the app (not hide it but actually close it) - and then open the app - 1Password doesn't trigger. Now, if I rinse and repeat - enable the link and make the connection on the desktop .. RBC app works as expected until I have closed the app again.

Another workaround (with some of the apps) but not with OpenVPN - is on the Surface Duo 2 - if I span the app across both screens - 1Password triggers. Move it back to any single screen, folded or open - 1Password doesn't trigger.

• Hello @jsalh, thanks very much for sharing this information.

I haven't used Link to Windows before so I got that set up and did a bit of testing. With some poking around I was able to replicate the behavior you saw with the RBC app. Very strange and I'd say it merits more investigation. Thanks for letting us know about this!

I tested OpenVPN, Coastal Capital, Capital One, FLO and Synology. I was able to reproduce the experience you described with all except the Capital One app where I could fill both fields from either field. You can check for updates to the Capitol One app and see if there's any difference with the production version of SwiftKey. I've reported the rest to the team.

There is no other place where I can find a “Display pop-up windows while running in the background”

This setting is specific to Xiaomi devices so with your Duo this won't apply. Sorry for not clarifying that earlier in the conversation!

ref: dev/core/core#16229

• jsalh
    jsalh
    Community Member

Hey @ag_timothy thanks for looking into this.

I have checked for updates all day .. and nothing new as come down for 1Password Beta (v8.9.3) or Capital One (v8.3.0)... still having issues where it doesn't trigger on the UserName field. The behavior is the same with both Microsoft Swiftkey keyboards (Beta and production).

For the Capital One app - I did disable biometric login and removed the "linked" app from the 1Password entry... but made no difference.

• Thanks for that information @jsalh. It looks like this issue might be unique to the Canadian version of Capital One (which I should've guessed as you also mentioned RBC). I just downloaded Capital One Canada and I see the same behavior you mentioned. I've gone ahead and reported it to the development team.

• jsalh
    jsalh
    Community Member

@ag_timothy Sorry about that.. never crossed my mind to mention that. At least you were able to figure it out and replicate the issue... and looking forward to fixes soon.

• @jsalh, thanks for reporting this in the first place!

• jsalh
    jsalh
    Community Member

@ag_timothy @ag_audrey just wondering what the status is on a fix coming down the pipeline?

• Thanks for following up with us @jsalh. Looking through our production and beta release notes I can see we've included a number of Autofill and app specific filling improvements. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that the apps listed here have been covered by those changes. I do not have any updates to share as to when changes to cover those apps would be available. My apologies for the trouble.

• TinyTyke
    TinyTyke
    Community Member

I have the iPassword 8 ... official app, I believe (beta isn't in PS for my Fold 3, but shows for my Note 9). Anyways, neither of my phones show that permission as viewable/available, thus I continue the struggle ~~~

But thank you! I can give more info if needed

• Brrry
    Brrry
    Community Member

Capital one. App
    Pixel 7 Pro
    1Password beta
    Autofilling username field with password.
    Autofill not triggering in password field
    Still no fix after 6 months? Please bring back the keyboard.

• ag_audrey
    edited February 2023

@TinyTyke, the permission mentioned above is specific to Xiaomi devices, which is why you won't be able to locate it in your Samsung devices. Do you notice different filling behaviour depending on whether you use the top, smaller screen versus the larger, unfolded screen on your Fold 3 device?

@Brrry, I've noticed Autofill issues in the Capital One app as well. I've passed your feedback along to our development team and noted your interest in the keyboard to our product team.

ref: dev/core/core#16229

• Grow
    Grow
    Community Member

I have the same issue with 1Password 8.10.0 and Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra.

• petertoth
    petertoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

Hi, I have the same issue with 1Password 8.10 on my Fairphone 4 device. I am using Gboard. 1Password sometimes not recognizes apps or fields to sign in or the information filled into fields is incomplete (for example it fills only password and no username). Thank you for your help

• Hey @Grow and @petertoth, thank you for joining the conversation, and I'm really sorry you're seeing filling issues as well.

Would you mind clarifying which Android apps or sites you're seeing Autofill not work as expected? This will allow me to test them on my end before reporting them to our development team.

• petertoth
    petertoth
    Community Member

Dear @ag_audrey , thank you for the reply. These are some of the apps/sites, where I had to put in the login details manually:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sk.dovera.dzp
    https://muni.islogin.cz/login/BgSo7xHNdApTm2dmwU4EcFgD (using firefox browser on my smartphone)

There might be more, but I need to check it systematically (I have quite a few apps installed and it might take some time)...

• Grow
    Grow
    Community Member

Swiftkey and already reported via support email.

• Hi @petertoth, thanks for sharing that app and website.

For the Muni website it appears that the issue may be related to a filling bug that can occur in some localizations. As the Dovera app uses a browser sign in, it appears the same issue is occurring there. I've updated the relevant internal issue with the details you shared here. Thanks for brining this to our attention.

Thanks for sending in an email @Grow. To avoid duplicating messages, lets continue the conversation there.

ref: dev/core/core#20262

This discussion has been closed.