Face Unlock?

Options
chobo2
chobo2
Community Member

Hi

I just downloaded the newest version onto my Samsung A52 and went through setup. I noticed in security it says "Face unlock". I don't have face unlock setup so I did not select it but was looking for fingerprint unlock but could not find it.

After some playing around it seems when I enable face unlock then when the app loads up it says "face unlock" but it asks for my fingerprint.

This is very confusing. You might want to add a separate toggle for fingerprint scanning.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Chippy_boy
    Chippy_boy
    Community Member
    Options

You're lucky. I get the face unlock option but (a) it doesn't work - still asks for password even with face unlock enabled, and (b) there's now no fingerprint unlock.

I've been a massive fan of 1password but this is an absolute mess. It's totally unusable. The list of issues I have with it is endless. And that's if I can manage to sign in typing a 30 character complex password.

What a mess

• maveric09
    maveric09
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. No Face Unlock. Samsung S22 Ultra. Fingerprint scanner is not working.

• bugs
    bugs
    Community Member
    Options

Awful! I need fingerprint unlock! I have zero interest in face unlock. How do I set this up?? I am entering my pw every timw right now.

• anzilone
    anzilone
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sure there should be an option to unlock with fingerprint in the settings menu. Setting then security then Biometric Unlock or similar.

• jake100200
    jake100200
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, I get a face unlock option when my phone doesn't have face unlock. No finger print option. App is unusable now. I've been a user for years, crazy this update has such a bad bug

• DanielWie
    DanielWie
    Community Member
    Options

There is no setup for fingerprints on android (12) Samsung Galaxy S20FE. I can enable the setting (settings-->security) but thats all. There is no followup setup to register my fingerprint. And I can only unlook the app with the PW. What am I doing wrong?

Referrer: forum-search:Fingerprint

• Salavich
    Salavich
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded to V8 on my Samsung Galaxy S22 and there is no fingerprint option. Do I need to uninstall and downgrade to V7 to get fingerprint security back?

• Salavich
    Salavich
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded to V8 on my Samsung Galaxy S22 and there is no fingerprint option. Do I need to uninstall and downgrade to V7 to get fingerprint security back?

• Corvidae
    Corvidae
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not a fan of facial recognition. I use fingerprint or pattern tracing for my phone auth. I had this available in the previous version of 1Password. Settings -> Security only has "Face Unlock" available. I'm ditching Ver 8 until this gets fixed.

• bugs
    bugs
    Community Member
    Options

Awful! I need fingerprint unlock! I have zero interest in face unlock. How do I set this up?? I am entering my pw every time right now.

• bugs
    bugs
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Ok, finally figured it out. But it wasn't easy!

• ag_timothy
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hello @chobo2, @Chippy_boy, @maveric09, @bugs, @anzilone, @jake100200 thanks for letting us know this has been an issue for you.

It sounds like you're referring to a bug with 1Password 8 for Android. Currently, if a device has a facial scanner, the wording for Biometric unlock will default to Face unlock even if Face unlock is not on or available with 1Password on the device. If you have a fingerprint registered, tapping Face unlock on will enable fingerprint unlock in 1Password 8 for Android.

Our development team is aware of this issue and working to make a fix available.

After tapping Face unlock on from Settings > Security, lock 1Password for Android then open the app and unlock with your account password. Going forward you should be able to unlock with your fingerprint.

If you're still running into issues please let us know and include any additional details. Thanks again!

• Hello @DanielWie, @Salavich, @Corvidae. I've merged your threads into this one, please see my post above.

• Mrburns
    Mrburns
    Community Member
    Options

If try to set the finger open through 1password but not offering it???

• Hello @Mrburns, I've merged your thread with this one. Please see my post above.

• infreq
    infreq
    Community Member
    Options

You're lucky. Face unlock does not work here and fingerprint neither

• Hi @infreq, thanks for joining the conversation. I'm sorry to hear there's still an issue with biometric unlock on your device!

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Android device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• rzzz
    rzzz
    Community Member
    Options

This is pretty hilarious. It's been two months since this was reported but still...

• rzzz
    rzzz
    Community Member
    Options

Here's how I got fingerprint enabled on my Tab S7. After entering the password, Lock the vault manually from the app, force close it. Re-open it, and it prompts me for biometric unlock.

• Hello @rzzz, thanks for letting us know Biometric unlock is working for you. This issue has been resolved in version 8.9.2 so you should see Biometric or Fingerprint unlock in the app when the update becomes available on your device.

• shraffo
    shraffo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have a Samsung tablet with face unlock, no fingerprint. The face unlock never works, can you help @ag_timothy ?

• Hi @shraffo, thanks for your question.

Face unlock is considered a "weak" biometric factor with most Android devices. This is due, in part, to the lack of IR or depth sensing cameras to scan facial data. 1Password for Android requires device's Face unlock to be considered "strong" for it to be used to unlock the app. To my knowledge, there isn't a Samsung tablet that supports Face unlock with 1Password even if it can be used to unlock the device or other apps.

On your device, can you turn Face or Biometric unlock on in 1Password? Thanks again!

• shraffo
    shraffo
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy thanks for responding! So face unlock is turned on in 1Password. I am using a Samsung Tab S7 FE which doesn't have a fingerprint scanner, but I do have face unlock set up on it. I understand the "strong" security for sure, does this mean I'm out of luck and will need to enter my password everytime on this tablet? If so, can you recommend settings to have it require the least often entry? I only use the device at home, so I'm really not worried about it i I can set it up to not lock during an active session (i.e. not putting the tablet to sleep)

• @shraffo

If your device doesn't support strong biometric authentication, you could change your "Auto-Lock on Exit" setting to its maximum of 8 hours. That means 1Password would only lock after 8 hours of inactivity, not simply every 8 hours. You can do this by following these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap the account and collection chooser at the top of the screen.
    3. Choose Settings..., then Security.
    4. Change "Auto-Lock on Exit" to 8 hours.

As long as you open 1Password at least once within the 8-hour window, the timer will reset. It's likely you'll need to unlock it with your account password first thing in the morning, but it should remain unlocked throughout much of the rest of the day. Hope that helps!

• shraffo
    shraffo
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P thanks for the info. So far, so good, appreciate your help!

• @shraffo

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some assistance. If you need anything from 1Password Support, you can post it here on the Community, or reach us by email at support@1password.com. :)

This discussion has been closed.