Third party integration

JesusTheHun
JesusTheHun
Community Member

I'm using Alfred.
It has a basic 1Password integration : search for a 1p item, open it in 1p or open it in the browser. That integration uses metadata from 1p xml files.
1P 8 comes with a spotlight-like feature to allow quick actions. Sadly, this is just another hotkey crowding my brain. I already have dozens to remember and carefully manage to avoid overlaps. So I would like to have a great integration with Alfred, to do exactly what 1p offers.

The expected way to do this would be to use the new CLI, right ? It feels so great.

Sadly the CLI uses a session system that requires an authentication after 30min idle.
This is not compatible with a third party integration.

The best way I see would be to be able to talk to the 1password app the same way the browser extension does. Is there any documentation somewhere would the API exposed by the app and the certificates to use ?

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.5
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• andi.t_1P
    edited August 2022

I think I might have exactly what you are looking for: 1Password Connect https://developer.1password.com/docs/connect.
    This provides a secure and private REST API for your secret automation needs.

• JesusTheHun
    JesusTheHun
    Community Member
    1. 1Password Connect cannot use user's Private vault
    2. It require to deploy a server
    3. It's not free

By the way, the pricing page for that feature is broken on Safari 15.6, many elements appear white or don't appear at all (white square artefact)

• andi.t_1P
    edited August 2022

I see. You could give Service Accounts (https://developer.1password.com/docs/service-accounts/) a try when possible, this should fix problem 1 and 2. This feature is still in beta though. Other than this, you could go with the not so reputable solution of keeping your CLI session open by making sure a call is performed every 30 mins.

Best,
    Andi

• JesusTheHun
    JesusTheHun
    Community Member

Sorry for the delay, I didn't receive an email when you responded, like I expected.

I do not see the "Create a Service Account" in the Directory tab. I only see Secrets Automation, Masked Email, Virtual Card and Scripting.
    I thought about a keep-alive system but it has a lot of flaws.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Service Accounts are still in beta, on an invitation basis.

That’s probably why you don’t see them in your Directory tab.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

PS: the (new) 1Password 8 workflow provided by the Alfred team seems to do exactly what you want? (search and open in either browser or 1Password)

https://github.com/alfredapp/1password-workflow

• JesusTheHun
    JesusTheHun
    Community Member

No it does not do what I want.
    I want to be able to copy the username and password from Alfred. Also it requires to execute a command to sync 1P with Alfred, which is ridiculous.
    Also every 30min you have to enter your credentials again because your token has expired.
    So it's basically worse than before by every measure.

• Thanks for your feedback! If you would like to be part of the Service Account beta testing group please let me know in this thread.

• JesusTheHun
    JesusTheHun
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

@andi.t_1P I would like to join this testing group please. Thank you for the invite.

EDIT : sorry for the ridiculous delay, but it appears that I didn't have notifications activated. Now I do.

• Hi @JesusTheHun , unfortunately the beta testing is closed for now. Do keep up to date for any developments on that front!

Best,
    Andi

This discussion has been closed.