Any update on turning on Secure Desktop by default?

Options
laugher
laugher
Community Member

Good Day! Just wondering if there are any updates, news that might be shared as to when unlocking the vault can happen in secure desktop by default.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @laugher,

Thanks for your question. Secure Desktop is available in Beta and Nightly versions of 1Password 8 for Windows, but we have no news to share about when this will arrive in the Production version, nor when (or if) a default secure desktop sign in option will be available. I've included your details in the feature request we're currently tracking with the Product team. 👍

ref: IDEA-I-1181

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d

Thanks for the update. Even if the secure desktop was a checkbox setting to make it a default for those of us who want it that way, that would be great.

I've always been a big fan of security in layers and adding another layer in 1Password and doing whatever you folks do to making it more secure is always a good thing. Defensive coding, authentication/authorization in the integration and leveraging off any form of technology to make it that much harder for people to steal the keys to the kingdom is always a good thing.

Let me know how we can help apply pressure so these features get bumped up in priority. :-)

• Hello again @laugher, we appreciate the additional feedback and suggestion here. I've passed this along.

We advocate for customers by filing feature requests like this and while all requests are investigated, the more requests we receive for a given feature, when possible, the better chance we'll have of seeing the idea promoted. Thanks!

• mks0815
    mks0815
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

So I'ld like to back that feature request. I am also waiting on it.

• Hi @mks0815!

As mentioned above, this currently available in the Beta and Nightly versions of 1Password 8, but is still be being worked on for the Production version, with no ETA currently. If you'd like to give it a try now, you can follow this guide to change the release channel for 1Password 8: Use 1Password beta releases

Thanks!

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member
    Options

Any release date set for secure desktop yet? Its becoming extremely frustrating typing in my master password when the focus of 1Password can be taken away and I find myself typing in my MASTER PASSWORD in another app. Very DANGEROUS.

I know you folks in the front line are doing what you can but this needs to be escalated and pushed as a priority besides functional issues that break 1Password. Again, this is for the security of our MASTER PASSWORD. @ag_mike_d

• Hello @laugher,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry to inform you that it was decided to remove support for the Secure Desktop feature entirely from 1Password 8 in December 2022. These details were included in our release notes.

The Secure Desktop functionality had remained in our testing channels with little customer feedback or demand for this feature making it's way to Production. This, coupled with changes to the architecture in 1Password 8, the use of Single Sign-on (SSO) becoming more prevalent, and the availability of Windows Hello on modern platforms, has reduced the need for the Secure Desktop feature.

With our rewrite and the changes in architecture between 1Password versions 7 and 8, we had continued testing this feature, but it's been challenging to get this feature working up to the standards expected of 1Password. When considering this, the rollout of alternate ways to authenticate (SSO and Windows Hello), and the lack of community feedback, it was decided to not move forward with the Secure Desktop feature in 1Password 8 for windows.

While I can't make any promises, we're continuing to monitor customer feedback and pass it along to our Product team. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this causes you, but do let me know if I can be of further assistance.

ref: dev/core/core#18270

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update @ag_mike_d

What are the SSO options being implemented on top of what is already there and what does the timeline for these enhancements look like? I am still having to enter my master password on a daily basis as I start up the PC in the morning so not sure how the existing Windows Hello SSO will enhance security when it was considered best practice to enter our master passwords routinely.

I am not sure what customers AgileBits fielded this question to. I definitely didn't get a vote besides chiming in here in the forums asking about it.

Some further clarity would be helpful.

• Kyrra
    Kyrra
    Community Member
    Options

Secure Desktop support was dropped? That really makes me sad. I've been waiting for it to his production channel. Apparently I should have been on beta so I could have helped push for it.

Maybe the messaging / docs around it weren't good enough to explain why it's a useful feature for people?

• ErtjeTheFreeze
    ErtjeTheFreeze
    Community Member
    Options

Secure Desktop should be implemented to my opinion. I want to enter my master password as secure as possible and expected 1P to think the same! As I'm reluctant to use Hello's Trusted Platform Module for the reasons given by 1P, I feel unsafe every time I'm entering my master password. And it WAS existing functionality in the previous main version!

• Hi folks - Sorry for the delay in response. We appreciate your comments and as noted above we'll be continuing to monitor for this type of feedback. I'll pass this along to the Product team in case any thing changes in the future.

This discussion has been closed.