Issues with 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 on Windows 7

xox
xox
Community Member
edited July 2022 in Windows

If I am not mistaken, 1Password 8 does not work with Windows 7.

If the above is true, there are two bugs/issues:

• 1Password 7 prompts users on Windows 7 to upgrade to 1 Password 8 without checking if Win7 is supported
  • 1Password 8 happily installs on Windows 7 without checking if Win7 is supported

So an unknowing Windows 7 user will get prompted to upgrade to 1Password 8, which will proceed to install and consequently ruin their working install.

1Password Version: 7.9.832
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @xox,

Thanks for your message and providing this feedback.

While the bulletin does prompt the user about 1Password 8, it does direct the user to the Windows download page on 1Password.com. 1Password 8 is not supported in Windows 7 and this page does note the system requirements for version 8 - Windows 11 64-bit or Windows 10 64-bit.

Should a user install 1Password 8 on a Windows 7 device, it can be removed and 1Password 7 for Windows reinstalled.

I hope this helps, but if you have further questions, please let us know.

• xox
    xox
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

So it's ok for a program to install and destroy itself? No problem there; works as intended?

• Hi @xox, thanks for getting back to us!

Attempts to install 1Password 8 on a 32-bit Windows 7 device will fail and alert the user with a compatibility error. However, this does not occur on 64-bit Windows 7 devices, and it is possible to complete the installation. This is a known issue our developers are looking into, and I've added what you've said here to the issue on file.

Thanks again for providing your feedback on this!

ref: dev/core/core#11754

• xox
    xox
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Thanks @1P_Gem -- it did seem like a bug with the installer so glad it's on the radar.

Removing the 1P8 update prompt on Win7 also seemed to make sense but maybe that's more debatable.

• Hey @xox, thanks once again for your feedback. I'll pass this along to the appropriate team 👍

Ali

This discussion has been closed.