1password 8 on macOS Appstore

Options

hi guys,

until now it was very convenient that sw deployment has been handled on Mac App Store.
will we receive 8 on App Store?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @eingfoan,

Thanks for reaching out to us about 1Password 8 on the Mac App Store.

We’re glad you’re as excited about 1Password 8 for Mac as we are. At this time, it is not currently available in the Mac App Store; however, you can download the app directly through our site: https://1password.com/downloads.

More options to help you deploy 1Password 8 to your team are coming soon, but I don't have an exact timeframe on when they will be available. If you'd like, I'll contact you by email so we can stay in touch and let you know when there is any news on the deployment front.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

• Christian_XYZR
    Christian_XYZR
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Scott.S_1P ,

For me the only important thing would be: will it ever appear on AppStore? If yes my work is done if „no“ I have to automate deployment with current package.
    It would be great if you can answer yes or no. Timeframe to me is not important as long as 7 is maintained security wise.

• @Christian_XYZR

Please use the following links to subscribe to updates.

Updates about Mac App Store availability

• Christian_XYZR
    Christian_XYZR
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

Thy
    Done

• On behalf of ag_tommy, you're very welcome, @Christian_XYZR.

• kngspook
    kngspook
    Community Member
    Options

I'm curious why you guys aren't answering the question of whether 1P8 will ever be on MAS?

• ScottS1P
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi @kngspook,

While I wish I could give you a definitive yes or no, the truth is that the decision hasn't been made. I can tell you that 1Password 8 is not currently on the Mac App Store, and that it hasn't been ruled out. "Never say never," right? Like Tommy mentioned, consider signing up for Updates about Mac App Store availability if it's important to you.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have any questions about 1Password 8.

• kngspook
    kngspook
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, alright. Well, as you weigh your decision, let me just throw out two arguments in favor:
    1. Automatic updates are smoother though the MAS (and less invasive) than any other frameworks I've seen, and having the latest and most secure version of 1Password seems like a virtue.
    2. Being on the MAS evokes a feeling of trust -- that the app is containerized, not doing anything too sketchy, etc. That's why I found it alarming that you guys went from being on the MAS to not being on MAS. It made me wonder: "Are they doing something with 1P8 that isn't allowed by MAS? If so, what? Should I be worried that they're no longer MAS compliant?" And for the application I trust most with my life outside the operating system itself (maybe even more than the OS, given the documents I store in there?), that feeling of trust was held particularly tightly by me.

• Thanks for the feedback, @kngspook. I'll share your feedback with the team.

• Christian_XYZR
    Christian_XYZR
    Community Member
    Options

@kngspook i can see your points and agree
    @Scott.S_1P for enterprises a rather yesish or a rather noish would also be ok. Whether to start packaging or not

• @Christian_XYZR, I don't have any additional information about our plans for the Mac App Store. It looks like you've seen the signup form for updates on this topic, so we'll be sure to send you an email when there is any news.

• robmaciel
    robmaciel
    Community Member
    Options

Since 1Pv8 is a direct DL, why do I have to go to the Mac App Store for the Safari extension?

• Hello @robmaciel,

Since 1Pv8 is a direct DL, why do I have to go to the Mac App Store for the Safari extension?

Apple requires all Safari extensions to be distributed through the App Store. Since 1Password 8 is available for direct download and can't provide Safari extensions, the 1Password extension for Safari is available as a standalone app in the Mac App Store.

• robmaciel
    robmaciel
    Community Member
    Options

Is this new for v8? We were able to pull down the v7 extension from the installer...

• Is this new for v8? We were able to pull down the v7 extension from the installer...

Yes. 1Password 7 included the Safari extension, which worked because it was available in the Mac App Store. 1Password 8 is distributed directly through our website and doesn't include the Safari extension.

• eingfoan
    eingfoan
    Community Member
    Options

Still wanting this. My mom also complained if it helps :-)

• No news to report about 1Password 8 availability in the Mac App Store at this time, @eingfoan. You can keep up to date by subscribing to email updates from the link Tommy shared earlier in the thread.

• Justin872629653
    Justin872629653
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, just want to add my 2¢. I have a whole family of 1Password users that I am the "admin" for, and every one of them is still on 1Password 7 until version 8 comes to the MAS. Many of them are not-so-computer-savvy and are not using local admin accounts. 1Password would become the only app on their computers that is updating outside of the MAS and I don't think the experience would be positive for them, if only because it's different.

I also moonlight as an admin for a small office that uses Macs. Most of them are also not on local admin accounts. We do use other software that isn't available in the MAS. But when it comes to evaluating new software, every software that's not on the MAS gets a -1 from me, because it's one more thing I have to keep track of. I understand that some of it can't be on MAS, but clearly 1Password can, because version 7 is. I'd like to be using 1Password there but I'm waiting to see how this turns out.

I understand that MAS adds additional development effort to the 1Password team, but it reduces effort for many users. I also understand the MAS may limit the functionality of some features—I've fought with version 7's QR code reader (and finally figured out how to best use it). To me, the MAS is worth the trade off.

• Hello @Justin872629653,

Thanks for sharing your interest in seeing 1Password 8 on the Mac App Store. I don't have any new information to share at this time, but we appreciate hearing about your use case.

This discussion has been closed.