Search not searching properly and not quite as usable

Options
finwe
finwe
Community Member

Search in 1Password 8 is not working properly. It registers only on certain phrases and ignores others as seen on screenshots below.

Further, I have a usability problem with the search popup in 8 - in 7, the results were filtered in the item list directly and I could directly work with them with the context menu - in 8, I have to select one item at a time and can work with them in the detail only, which is slightly inconvenient - the popup seems as an unnecessary added step with no benefits.

1Password Version: 8.8.0 80800203
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ n/a

Comments

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

The current stable release of 1PW8 doesn't support substring/partial words search. It searches always from the beginning. After ten months of waiting the current beta (released yesterday) finally supports searching for substring again - a feature all previous 1PW versions had.
    Sadly the cumbersome UI with its dropdown and additional shortcut has not been reverted to far superior UI used in previous 1PW versions.

• ag_mike_d
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hello @Finwe,

Thanks for your message. We're continuing to look at making improvements to the search functionality and this kind of feedback helps the team understand what customers are looking for. As @viswiz mentioned (thanks), our release notes for the latest Beta of 1Password 8, list the improvement we've made with partial substring matching. If you'd to give the Beta a try, you can follow this guide:

Use 1Password beta releases

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

• mitchr
    mitchr
    Community Member
    Options

I would add that additional filtering/sorting would be helpful. For example

• only show vault/note/etc names (don't search the contents)
    • whole word only

In my experience, once you have hundreds of entries, the search functionality breaks down pretty quickly. myname@gmail.com is very common, so for my GMail vault name, I have to use a naming convention to find it quickly.

• Hi @mitchr,

Thanks for your feedback. With a large number of items, I can see where additional filtering options would be helpful and I've included your thoughts for the team.

In the meantime, does searching while using the Find (Ctrl + Alt + F) option help to improve your results?

ref: IDEA-I-1061

• mitchr
    mitchr
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't know that was an option, but not helpful in this case.
    Looking at my example above, if I name my 1pass GMail account "GMail - Mitch", and I search for GMail or mitch or mitch@gmail.com, I get all the accounts that have that string. If I can narrow the search to Login Titles, I'm more likely to find what I'm looking for. That said, the titles of my Google accounts use "Google" ;)

• ag_mike_d
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi @mitchr,

I appreciate your reply and I'm sorry this was not helpful, but understand that an advanced function to search by title or perhaps a specific field type would be useful. I've passed this additional feedback along. Thanks!

ref: IDEA-I-439

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d, Thanks for pointing me to the beta, I'll try it as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, I am missing any comment regarding usability of the modal window. I have also noticed, that when I search for a query which is a tag name, only the tag is displayed in the search results instead of items having this tag assigned, which is an unnecessary additional step to filter out items with this tag (or, in my case, a single item).

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm that search from the middle of a word in the last beta of v. 8 works as expected, awesome :)

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

I have also noticed that the search looks into password strings. Is this intended? Isn't it unsafe?

• Hi @finwe,

Please excuse the delay in my response. I'm happy to hear things are working as expected with this substring search in the beta.

Regarding the modal window can could let me know if you are referring to the dropdown when searching? You can use Ctrl + Enter to Show all matching results in the center pane of 1Password 8, similar to version 7. Similarly, does selecting a tag from the left sidebar using Ctrl + F and Ctrl + Enter to search a string help here?

Searching into password strings is intended behaviour and is safe because it happens on your own device and only when the app is unlocked. Implementation details are the same as searching passwords manually on an item to item basis.

Do let us know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

• Hi folks! A further update here:

Substring search matching has now made it to the latest Production build of 1Password. To take advantage of this functionality, update to version 8.9.4 or newer (8.9.5 is actually out just now, with an additional unrelated bug fix), and you will be good to go.

I hope this proves a welcome addition - if you're on the Production update channel, let me know how it goes for you!

• mitchr
    mitchr
    Community Member
    Options

Works great. I like that it remains persistent when switching categories.
    Thanks!

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P Thanks, really seems to work as I'd expect!

@ag_mike_d Thanks, Mike, for your answers. I guess I mean the dropdown, yes. But the main question still remains: It's nice that I can fairly quickly get to the filtered main list of items, but: why should I in the first place? What is the benefit of the popup window/dropdown, when I need to select an item in it or move to filtered password list anyway? I don't see any. And keyboard selecting an item in the filtered main list of items could be done just as easily.

On searching by tags, I'll try to be more concrete by using an example: I have an item with "codes" tag. Its name is "doors". When I search for "codes", I'd expect the "doors" item itself in the search result, not only the "codes" tag which I now have to expand. Of course better fulltext searches could have a priority when multiple items are found, but in this particular case, only one item exists in the tag and it would tremendously help the usability to see it directly in search results.

I'm okay with searching in password strings.

• sloot
    sloot
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on @finwe 's comments regarding the new search/filter box not behaving like the old one. Substrings (that are now available) will make it better but aren't enough. I have 200+ entries in my work vault, and will often type "daily" to get the entries tagged with daily (the ones I use .. daily). Yes, there is another way to do this (click the daily tag on the left), but the old way worked great and my mind is used to it.

I upgraded one of my machines to 1Pv8, and am holding back upgrading my other machines until the search box reverts to the old filter behaviour. The extra step of hitting control+enter isn't intuitive.

• AliH1P
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hey @finwe and @sloot, thank you for your feedback and sharing your use cases - it's greatly appreciated.

I can definitely see how it would be helpful to your workflows to have the search filtering behaviour similar to how it was in 1Password 7. We currently have an internal feature request raised to add an option to make "Show all Matching Items" the default search behaviour over the existing dropdown menu. I've added your comments there to further highlight user interest in this feature.

Ali

ref: IDEA-I-289

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all after some time, I have just found out the search results overlay is even less usable than I thought, because the number of items in it is limited. I either have to refine the search or open the entire search result with the keyboard shortcut or by clicking the last item in the list.

So I ask again: what are the benefits of the overlay? I really can't find any.

• Hello @finwe,

Thanks for your question and additional feedback. With a larger quantity of items and the limited number of items that appear in the search dropdown, I can see that your use case makes for a less user-friendly experience.

The product team is continuing to make improvements to 1Password 8. While the feature request Ali mentioned is being looked into for future consideration, I'm sorry that not able to offer further news at this time.

We appreciate your patience.

This discussion has been closed.