Support for SSH certificates in the 1Password SSH agent

Manaburner
Manaburner
Community Member
edited August 2022 in SSH

I tried using a SSH certificate (not SSH key) with 1Password on Windows, but authentication did not succeed on the server (too many failures). I imported my private key and then tried to authenticate, which failed. Am I doing something wrong or does 1Password currently not support the use of SSH certificates?

1Password Version: 8.9.0(80900001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• crahan
    crahan
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

I just updated to 1Password 8 and I'm wondering the same thing. If not supported, can we submit a vote for this feature to be added?

• mpepping
    mpepping
    Community Member

+1 for this one

• Hello, and thank you for your question!

SSH agents are only ever aware of the private key. This means that they never touch the public key, or certificate.
    The good news is that means your certificates should work just fine! The private key needs to be loaded into 1Password, but the certifcate can sit on your filesystem in the usual place.

Depending on the name of your certificate file, you may need to specify the certificate path. Either with the -i flag to an ssh command, or using the CertificateFile configuration option.

Let me know if that works or you have any other questions!

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi @brian.f_1P
    thank you for the pointer, I almost had it right ;). In my ssh config, I had used the "IdentityFile" parameter with my private key, where I should instead have used "CertificateFile" with the certificate.pub. Now it's working.

• Glad to hear it’s working! Let us know if you run into anything else.

This discussion has been closed.