upgrade to 1Password 7 from 8

Options
netstar
netstar
Community Member
edited August 2022 in Lounge

Using 1Password 7 on my iPhone for a very, very long time (10+ years I believe) and trying to upgrade from 1Password 7 to 8. However, I'm requested to provide Master Password and Secret Key, which I've never used. DONT want to switch to another Password app. Totally satisfied customer. Not going to Fix App if it is'nt broken. Thanks
HELP
BK

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• netstar
    netstar
    Community Member
    Options

IOS 15.6

• OLCE
    OLCE
    Community Member
    Options

You never used a secret key or master password or both?
    I guess you are using 1Password 7 without a subscription with local offline vaults?

• Hi @netstar:

As @OLCE mentioned (thanks for the assist!) 1Password 8 only supports 1Password accounts, and doesn't support standalone vaults. If you don't have a Secret Key, then you don't have a 1Password account. Your best bet would be to get in touch with our dedicated Migrations team, as they would be able to assist you with migrating to a 1Password account, as well as see if there's any discounts you may be eligible for. You can get in touch with them by sending an email to support+tradein@1password.com.

Jack

• ShotGun4me
    ShotGun4me
    Community Member
    Options

I'm considering 1PW8. On the Apple Apps store, it lists two 1PW8 options. Are they the same. and if I did switch, would I have to download the app for each of my devices (iPhone, iPad, MBA and Windows 10 computer?) At this point of time, if I add a new PW to one of my devices, they migrate to the other's automatically.

Also, I'm led to believe that 7 and 8 are separate programs as I read that after setting up PW8, I can delete 1PW7 from all my devices. Is that right as well?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ShotGun4me

Interesting. I'm not sure why you'd be seeing two different options in the App Store. 🤔 There is only one 1Password for iOS app there, and it is version 8. To be sure, this is the direct link:

1Password 8 on the App Store

Yes, 1Password would need to be installed on each device. You can find all the relevant information here:

Get the 1Password apps

At this point of time, if I add a new PW to one of my devices, they migrate to the other's automatically.

Correct; every device you add your 1Password account to will have the same data.

Also, I'm led to believe that 7 and 8 are separate programs as I read that after setting up PW8, I can delete 1PW7 from all my devices. Is that right as well?

Essentially, yes. 1Password 8 for Mac will automatically clean up 1Password 7, but we don't have that ability on iOS. As such it would be a good idea to remove 1Password 7 from your iPad and iPhone once you have v8 set up to avoid potentially confusing things. 👍️

Thank you.

Ben

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Ben

Sometimes the App Store will show two entries for the same app, one being the advertisement (Ad) entry:

• Ben
    Options

Ah! Okay, thanks for that callout, @MrC.

Ben

• Gen
    Gen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I've just upgraded from 1Password 7 to 8. After the installation on my macOS, I found 2 zip files in the Application folder which i mistakenly launch one of it. It seems that the older version is reinstalled again and now i have both versions on my machine. Is there any guide on how i can safely remove the older version manually? Strange that I have 2 zip files with one dated back to 2020.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Gen,

So long as 1Password 8 is working as expected for you, you can safely move all of the following to the Trash:

• 1Password 7
    • 1Password 7.app.2.zip
    • 1Password 7.app.zip

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Gen
    Gen
    Community Member
    Options

I see, got it. Thanks for the reply, @Ben

• Ben
    Options