1P 8 and Categories

Options
Mark Sealey
Mark Sealey
Community Member

Thanks for 1P 8… love it!

Now that I've upgraded from 7, I want to start making more of 1P's Categories.

I know that I can't actually edit the Categories as supplied.

But I'd like to move items which 1P 8 has put into certain Categories into others.

Is this possible, please?

TIA!

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• Alvin.L_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hey @Mark Sealey :

Thanks so much for trying out 1Password 8!

As of this writing, moving an item to another category is not possible. If you'd like to have an item under a specific category, you can create a new item under the preferred category and copy over the information from the older item. With that being said, we have an open feature request for the ability to convert an item to a different category. I've added a proxy vote on your behalf.

Thank you for the feedback. Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime. 😊

Alvin

ref: IDEA-I-716

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    Options

@Alvin.L_1P ,

That's great to know. It would be really useful.

we have an open feature request for the ability to convert an item to a different category. I've added a proxy vote on your behalf.

Thanks!

• We're happy to advocate for you, @Mark Sealey. Thanks for the request!

• GregT
    GregT
    Community Member
    Options

If I understand what "categories" are, you might think about calling them "Templates" aka pre-formed structures to use when creating items... not for grouping like items for sorting, which are "tags" ... I used to use categories, not tags, as sorting items, but without being able to move them around, change an item's category from A to B, it makes them pretty useless as a "category" (aka, grouping similar items)... should call them templates... Maybe make the "tags" feature more robust (more colorful like the categories rather than the somewhat dull green 'tag').

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

I don’t think categories was an option to be created. It must be tags.

• Hi @GregT and @vishalsheth,

I appreciate this feedback! In the 1Password Business beta there's a template feature and I would also love to see it come to individual and family accounts. I've shared your feedback with the team and appreciate you taking the time to add your thoughts here. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-374
    ref: IDEA-I-1318

This discussion has been closed.