Face ID Not Working [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

kyswisher
kyswisher
Community Member
edited February 2023 in iOS

View 1Password's Approved Answer

I have upgraded to 1Password 8 for Mac. Yesterday I had to re-set my iPhone settings and since then I cannot use Face ID to open 1Password. I have re-installed the 1Password app, checked to make sure 1Password is approved for using Face ID on my phone. Can you advise?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.6
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:face recognition not working

Comments

• Hi @kyswisher:

To confirm, are you running into trouble with using Face ID on your iPhone to unlock 1Password for iPhone? If so, which version of 1Password do you have on your iPhone, 1Password 7 or 1Password 8? Let me know!

Jack

• shadowplayer
    shadowplayer
    Community Member

Hi, I think I might have seen some comments on this on another thread, but I wanted to log this on a separate thread. Sometimes Face ID works just fine when opening the app, but every so often it seems to fail randomly and then immediately require the Master Password. What's odd about these Face ID failures is that they shouldn't be failures...I am looking at the phone with clear line of sight and it just fails and then requires a Master Password. It's inconsistent, but happens at least a few times a day as I'm using the app. I just want to be clear it's not because I'm looking at the phone wrong...it's like the connection between Face ID and 1Password doesn't work sometimes. thanks

1Password Version: 8
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• Hi @shadowplayer:

We're investigating this situation. So that we can confirm the specifics of your individual situation, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• shadowplayer
    shadowplayer
    Community Member

Thanks. I’ve sent the diagnostics.
    Support ID: [#NKJ-28396-428]

Let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help identify this issue.

• ImJohnHime
    ImJohnHime
    Community Member

I have this issue as well. Installed 1Password 8 for iPhone. Face ID fails unlocking the app and have to enter my passcode manually every time.

• jason_k
    jason_k
    Community Member

Just wanted to chime in here that I experience this, too. I've only personally noticed this when using autofill in Safari on iOS (see related thread), but the issue is the same: 1Password seemingly fails to even try to unlock with FaceID.

I'm pretty sure it's not operator error (obscured face, etc.), because the FaceID popup doesn't even appear at all. However, I do feel some haptic feedback, which is a bit strange. I just have to poke the FaceID icon, and everything then works as it should.

Sometimes this happens on sites that have separate pages for username and password, requiring two invocations of 1Password. One of them will work, and the other will not. I'm sitting in the same place, doing the same thing back to back. I never experienced this with prior versions of 1Password, so something feels off here.

• achernart
    achernart
    Community Member

I've sent the report also.
    [#JQB-34957-145]

• shadowplayer
    shadowplayer
    Community Member

One other note is that I thought I see this mostly when doing auto fill in safari, but today I got it a number of times when just opening. 1Password. Also, it shows a a successful Face ID with the check mark…but then 1Password won’t open and requests the Master Password.

• shadowplayer
    shadowplayer
    Community Member

One other interesting detail…it fails and requires the mastery password. But if I wait a few minutes and then come back to the app it sometimes works with Face ID again. Very inconsistent

• shadowplayer
    shadowplayer
    Community Member

Also—I only seem to have this issue with V8 on my iPhone, my iPad Pro with Face ID doesn’t seem to have the same failures. Just thought I’d note that too. Thanks

• Hey @shadowplayer / @achernart / @jason_k:

Thanks for following up. As I mentioned, we're continuing to investigate, and hopefully we should know more soon.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#15937

• ich
    ich
    Community Member

I have the same issue… and yes it only happens if I use autofill

• Hello @ich,

I'm sorry to hear you are also experiencing this issue with FaceID when using autofill, but appreciate you reporting this to us.

Can provide us with a diagnostics report attached to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com? Please do not post these details here.

Could you also provide a link to this thread, https://1password.community/discussion/comment/653209/#Comment_653209 and your forum handle, ich. Once you receive our BitBot reply with the Support ID (example: [ABC-12345-678]), Please let us know that number. Thank you!

• ich
    ich
    Community Member

@ag_mike_d there you go [#NPX-13148-616]

• Thanks, @ich! We'll take a look and pass the details along to the dev team. We'll be in touch with you as soon as possible.

ref: NPX-13148-616

• ImMark
    ImMark
    Community Member

I have this issue too. On iOS 1Password 8 (iOS 15.6.1)

• Hi @ImJohnHime / @ImMark:

We're continuing to investigate this. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

ref: dev/core/core#15937

• jinwai
    jinwai
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

I am using Touch ID and it fail 100% of tries, and need Master Password every time. Happens everywhere such as open the app or autofill.

Only happen in my iPhone 7 Plus. My iPad Pro 10.5 has no problem. Both are using iPassword iOS 8.9.1

Sent diagnostic attachment via email, but did not receive the Support ID yet.

• ImMark
    ImMark
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

@Jack.P_1P Since my post above I had uninstalled 1P8 (thinking I'd just wait for a fix to be available. I have now reinstalled, and now Face ID works repeatably. I cannot reproduce the same issue (FaceID failing and prompting for Master Password each time). If the issue reappears I will post diagostics.

• jinwai
    jinwai
    Community Member

Support ID [#ART-96548-948]

• Hi @jinwai:

I located your email to us, and we'll be in touch soon. Thanks!

Jack

ref: ART-96548-948

• Boichat
    Boichat
    Community Member

Face ID with 1password has never worked on my iPhone 12 mini since upgrading. Always needs me to put in my master password. It attempts to do Face ID, I get a brief tick appear as if the OS thinks it was successful, then 1Password seems to disagree, I get a haptic vibration to say it failed and I’m prompted to put in the master.

No problem with Face ID on v8 with iPadOS though.

Deleting and reinstalling the app does nothing. Neither does resetting Face ID in system settings.

Very frustrating…

• sloerte
    sloerte
    Community Member

I'm here with the same issue, trying to fix an unrelated problem I reseted all settings on my iPhone XS (iOS 15.6.1) after that 1Password fails to recognize my face every time and I have to manually enter my password. I reseted FaceID on my phone (every other app works fine), I disabled/enabled FaceID on 1Password, restarted my phone a few times, deleted 1Password and reinstalled again a few times as well but every time I open the app I get the "face id" it scans my face it seems to fail and then shows the message "you need to enter your account password before you can use Face ID".

Before "resetting all settings" FaceID was working fine with 1Password 8 so that may be a way to reproduce the issue.

• CaptainJD
    CaptainJD
    Community Member

I also get this with FaceID. Seems to mostly happen when I’m entering a password and need flip back out to the main 1PW app to generate a new password or add extra info. It always ends up with FaceID not working on the main 1PW app as well as the popup sheets (auto fill) when focused on a field.

It’s very irritating as need to enter master password multiple times.

• Hi @Boichat / @CaptainJD:

Thanks for letting us know about this. Can you please follow the steps I shared above to share the diagnostics report with us, and mention your username on the Support Community?

Jack

• CaptainJD
    CaptainJD
    Community Member

Sent you the details :-)

• kitesurfjerry
    kitesurfjerry
    Community Member

Hi, I have an iPhone 13 pro Face ID is setup on the phone (works fine unlocking the device) and I also have Face ID enabled in the 1Password app. However when I attempt to unlock 1Password with Face ID it doesn't work - there's no Face ID button and I can only unlock it with my master password. Any suggestions?…

• kitesurfjerry
    kitesurfjerry
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

And also The Face ID button is grayed out and I can’t turn it on or off

• notMyUserName
    notMyUserName
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem with 1password 7. Face ID is otherwise working fine and it had been in 1Password until just now. Face ID is still turned on in 1Password settings and I haven't changed anything. The only thing I am aware of that might be different is that I installed iOS 15.6.1 last night.

• CaptainJD
    CaptainJD
    Community Member

FYI, Not had any BitBot replies (including junk folder).

This discussion has been closed.