1Password Hijacks Focus?

Options
BWGHK
BWGHK
Community Member

Got a weird issue here:

Whenever I open a tab to a site that needs a login, for example banking, if the 1Password app is open, it hijacks the focus, i.e. I can see the Mac toolbar switch from Firefox to 1Password, which of course means that if I type anything, I get error sounds, which is annoying.

This only happens when the 1Password app itself is open; if only the extension is unlocked, it doesn't seem to happen.

Of course this is not ideal because there are times I need to have the app open in the background.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a fix?

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOs 12.5
Browser:_ Firefox 102.0.1

Comments

• gkefalas
    gkefalas
    Community Member
    Options

Seeing this as well. I had done a search and posted about it in the beta forum where someone described similar issues:

I'm encountering this on macOS 1Password 8.8.0 (80800203 Production channel), not Beta channel. But maybe some more details may help?

I definitely encountered and could reproduce it when browsing, which you can imagine caused issues when working in things like Google Docs :) So, I've disabled the browser extensions for the time being in Safari (v2.3.7) and Edge, and it seems to have resolved itself.

The behavior is:

• The 1Password application pulled focus occasionally OR a few seconds after I'd return focus to the browser OR a few seconds after switching tabs. (That last one about tab switching isn't reliably reproduced, but seemed to be the behavior.)
    • If I quit the 1Password app entirely, it would start back up when it attempted to pull focus.
    • If I X'd out of the 1Password main window, 1Password would still grab focus, but there would be no window, obviously.
    • I noticed one time the search field was focused, so I thought that perhaps this caused it; I unfocused it, alt-tab'd back over to my browser, but a few moments later… bam, 1Password application grabbed focus again, but the search field wasn't focused. So, seemed coincidental.
    • A restart today did nothing.

I don't know offhand how long this has been going on, but for whatever reason today the issue was noticeable enough that I came hunting for a solution, and found this thread in the beta forum describing a really similar issue.

I don't think it was happening prior to prod 8.8.0, however. I only recently updated a few days ago and something like this I'd definitely notice if it had been, like, weeks.

Hope this may help pinpoint what's happening! I've been using 1Password since v2 or 3 and love it and depend on it. I haven't installed the new betas to see if it's resolved there; that will be my next step. Fingers crossed. Either way, thank you!

• Hi @BWGHK and @gkefalas,

It sounds like something is going on with 1Password in the browser that is requesting 1Password to open to complete a process. If the process can't be completed for some reason, then 1Password will try again.

This could be the result of 1Password seeing a code signature mismatch when your browser needs an update, or is part way through updating (if the browser needs restarting to complete the update for example). Does updating your browsers, then fully quitting and restarting them help?

Let me know how you get on and whether this helps and if not we can dig a bit deeper to get to the bottom of it. 🙂

Kester

• gkefalas
    gkefalas
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Kester.D_1P! Thanks for this suggestion. I agree that's exactly what it sounds like.

All of the browsers I use were fully updated at the time, though since I posted there's a macOS update that I haven't yet put through. Your idea definitely made sense as I'd encountered something similar years ago, but unfortunately can't have been the case for me. Obviously I can't speak for @BWGHK 😅 Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.