Trying to quit 1Password. I scroll down to Quit and it does, but

Options
Holt26
Holt26
Community Member

In the Mac menu bar, I click on 1Password and scroll down to Quit. It does but all I have to do is click on the icon and it opens again without a password. I want it to quit and stay quit.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:scroll down to quit but does not need password to open again

Comments

• dmjacobson
    dmjacobson
    Community Member
    Options

I was trying to report the same thing, but with more formal logic. One of the basic ideas of cryptography is that when some piece of data is protected with a key, you can't extract it without providing the key. And we expect that when we quit a program, all the storage is reclaimed by the OS, and hence all the keys are destroyed, and hence you can't extract the protected data. But 1Password 8 exhibits a violation of that logic. I strongly urge the 1Password developers to fix this. More specifically, quitting 1 password should get the system into a state where protected values can only be seen by entering the main password or using a fingerprint or face ID.

• Hello @Holt26 and @dmjacobson! This is happening because the setting "Keep 1Password in the Menu Bar" is enabled in your Preferences. This option exists to keep 1Password unlocked and running, even when the main application is closed. There are a couple of options available to you:

1. If you want to continue to have access to 1Password from the menu bar, but be sure 1Password is closed completely, be sure to select "Quit" from the Menu Bar icon on the right. This is the main way to fully close 1Password when this setting is enabled:

2. In the menu bar, select "1Password -> Preferences..." or press "⌘ + ," and deselect "Keep 1Password in the menu bar". This will allow 1Password to quit fully when you select "Quit 1Password" from the menu bar options.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I hope this helps! Feel free to let me know if these steps don't work for you, and please don't hesitate to reach out with other issues!

• dmjacobson
    dmjacobson
    Community Member
    Options

I tried your advice of unchecking "Keep 1Password in the menu bar". It still doesn't work right. Here is a sequence that will demonstrate the problem. First make sure "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" in the preferences is unchecked and 1 Password is not running. Start 1Password and unlock it. You will see a dot associated with the 1Password icon in the task bar. Now click the red circle with an X in the upper left corner of the window. The window will close and the dot associated with 1Password icon in the task bar will disappear. Any reasonable person would believe that 1Passwoard is not running and hence that the credentials to decrypt the passwords are not available. Now click on the 1Password icon in the task bar. The 1Password window pops up and all your passwords are available without entering any password or presenting any biometric. This is unacceptable. Please fix it.

• Thanks for your feedback on this! I was able to replicate the behavior you've experienced, and 1Password does indeed appear to continue running when closed that way. While I can't promise anything specifically, I've shared your thoughts with the team. In the meantime, using ⌘+Q to quit 1Password rather than using the close window button, or manually locking 1Password (⌘+⇧+L) would be your best bet.

• Holt26
    Holt26
    Community Member
    Options

The only way 1Password will quit when going from the 1Password (on the top left next to the apple) and scrolling down to quit, is if you are using a desktop version. If you are using 1Password online, then no luck.

This discussion has been closed.