Safari browser extension

Options
sue16garri
sue16garri
Community Member

My browser extension disappeared from Safari with the the latest version of 1Password. When I started to reinstall it, Safari now warns: This extension can read and alter webpages you visit and see your browsing history on all websites. This includes sensitive information from webpages, including passwords, phone numbers, and credit cards. I opted out of that extension, but it occurs to me that 1Password is doing the same thing if I use Quick Access. Yes? No?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:safari browser extension

Comments

• Hi @sue16garri:

It's great that you're being thoughtful about the extensions you use in Safari. We talk a bit about the permissions 1Password in your browser needs here: About 1Password browser permissions

In short, 1Password for Safari needs those permissions to view the page you're on, and make changes (to perform the fill action).

Universal Autofill from Quick Access uses Accessibility permissions on your Mac to recognize fields in apps and webpages: About macOS Privacy preferences for Universal Autofill

Let me know if that explains things.

Jack

• sue16garri
    sue16garri
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your quick response. I've been a 1Password user and advocate almost from your inception. I rarely have to visit your support pages. I'm using the beta version of iCloud private relay and comparing it to the Proton Mail VPN. My preferred search engine is DuckDuckGo since 2014. I know I'm reasonably anonymous. I thought Apple's Safari warning could have been a little less hair on fire. At least I don't have to see Facebooks iMessenger icon populating the flow of your web pages. For that I am truly, truly grateful! Thanks again.

• On behalf of Jack, you're most welcome. We're glad to have you with us.

This discussion has been closed.