1Password Keyboard for the smartphone

RichardGaspa
RichardGaspa
Community Member
edited August 2022 in Android

I am using the new 1Password version for Android 8.9.0. I am looking for the smartphone 1Password smartphone keyboard. I used it in an older version of 1Password. Is there a 1Password keyboard that I can use on my Pixel6 Pro smartphone? I can't seem to find it anyplace.

1Password Version: 8.9.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: android
Browser:_ Chome

Comments

• Hello @RichardGaspa, thanks for joining us on the forum!

1Password 8 for Android does not include a keyboard. We introduced 1Password Keyboard before the Autofill framework was available on Android. Today, 1Password 8 is available on all Android devices that support Autofill. This framework enables 1Password to offer filling on login or payment forms securely and efficiently.

• RichardGaspa
    RichardGaspa
    Community Member

Got it! Thanks for your quick reply. Using the new !Password 8 version for the past few hours, and I'm loving it!

• You are very welcome. I'm Glad to hear you're loving 1Password 8! Let us know if we can help with anything else.

• dlitz
    dlitz
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

@ag_timothy What? But there are so many circumstances where the auto-fill framework just isn't available! (Hell, even when creating an account on this site!)

Sigh I guess I need to reinstall 1Password 7. If the Android keyboard functionality becomes unavailable, I will almost certainly be migrating away from 1Pasaword. The keyboard---or some reliable fallback---is absolutely needed.

• dlitz
    dlitz
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

Like, honestly, what Android device/version are you guys using internally, such that it gives you the impression that the auto-fill framework is good enough that you can afford to have no fallback?

The 1password keyboard was the only thing that worked unconditionally on my Samsung A32 5G (purchased in Canada, running Android 12), and that's really important to me, because of various badly-designed apps that block auto-fill on their login screens, and apparently even Chrome on Android doesn't always provide it as an option.

This seems like a design decision driven by wishful thinking & convenience for your PMs, rather than actual user experience.

• DrSuSE
    DrSuSE
    Community Member

Just adding in that auto fill is great, but in the cases where auto fill still doesn't function, the 1P 7 Keyboard was an amazing backup. Please bring it back. I hate that I'll otherwise need to revert to 1P 7 just for that.

Pixel 6 Pro, Android 13

• DrSuSE
    DrSuSE
    Community Member

As a small example, the app my Barber uses has two points where credentials need to be filled. Their appointment scheduling and the PayPal deposit. I'm both cases, 1P7 worked fine, 1P8 says auto fill isn't available and since there's no keyboard fallback, I have to go into 1P, copy the info, go back to the app, etc. It's a pain.

There are lots of instances where this is the case, lesser known apps and such. Just add the keyboard back please.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.efexxapps.android5bab9381979f2

• rscott78
    rscott78
    Community Member

Agreed with DrSuSE and dlitz. I just upgraded to 1p8 and am finding all sorts of apps that don't have autofill. I'm having to downgrade to 1p7 in order to get the keyboard option so I can use those other apps.

• DrSuSE
    DrSuSE
    Community Member

@ag_timothy can we get some further thought sharing here please?

• bjlewis2
    bjlewis2
    Community Member

I have plenty of times where auto fill isn't available as well. We use a local bank and their app doesn't support it, so I either have to use a weak password that I can remember, or do the clunky switch-back-and-forth-between-apps dance to copy and paste it (which is what I do... And it's always frustrating)

• RichardGaspa
    RichardGaspa
    Community Member

I could not agree more. Something needs to be done by 1Password to solve this problem.

• Hello @dlitz, @DrSuSE, @rscott78, @bjlewis2, @RichardGaspa, thanks very much for sharing your feedback. I've passed it along to the team and added your +1's.

As mentioned, our focus for filling is currently the Autofill service with split screen mode to drag and drop as an alternative. With the 1Password keyboard being part of your normal workflow, I can fully understand why this feels like a step back and I'm sorry for the trouble.

DrSuSE thanks for letting us know about the Ox the Barber app. I've filed that with the team. I did try using their website in Chrome instead and I was able to fill test credentials in the login page.

Thanks again!

ref: IDEA-I-1699

• benhandley
    benhandley
    Community Member

I also frequently needed to use the keyboard. eg I just tried to log in to the sonos app, and didn't get any autofill suggestion, so I had to do the tedious switch to 1P8 app and back. There are far too many problem sites/apps for this to be solvable by just fixing them one by one, we really need a catchall and the keyboard worked pretty well for that.

• Hi @benhandley, thanks for weighing in on this. I can definitely see the benefit of an alternate filling option, especially on small screens where drag and drop can be a bit cumbersome. +1 added.

• underhat
    underhat
    Community Member

I second the need for a way to have 1 password work in apps consistently.

I am also interested in this to work around flaky behavior with Samsung Keyboard in Chrome. Having a way to force 1password to pop up and fill would be helpful. Specifics of the motivating problem (which I already emailed to support):

I am using 1Password 8.9.3 on Samsung A52 5G (Android 12, One UI 4.1) with Samsung Keyboard 5.4.80.1.

When I put the focus in a username/password entry in Chrome for Android the 1password overlay bar does not appear. The workaround is to press the settings icon on the Samsung keyboard bar to open the settings menu, then the back button to close the menu; after that, the 1password bar overlays the Samsung keyboard bar. This is reproducible 100%. I can supply additional information including screenshots.

• Hi @underhat, +1 added for the keyboard.

I suspect loading the Autofill data is exceeding the 5 second limit set by the system causing it not to appear. If that's the case, reloading the app or webpage in a number of ways (including opening you keyboard settings) might give 1Password the second chance it needs to load the relevant data.

The team here is working on some changes to help improve this behavior. Do you see similar results if you slowly tap between the username and password field, minimize then re-open Chrome or refresh the page?

• AndyBushman
    AndyBushman
    Community Member

I have upgraded to Android 13 and find the 1password bar rarely shows. If I switch keyboard between Samsung and SwiftKey then back to Samsung the 1password bar then appears, but I have to keep doing this.

• Hi @AndyBushman, thanks for letting us know this has been an issue for you.

I'd like to ask you to reach out to us directly via email at support@1password.com so we can help investigate further. Please include a brief description of the issue with your message.

After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our automated responder, with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. You can post that here so I can help make sure your message gets to the right place. Thanks again!

• krischik
    krischik
    Community Member

1Password autofill doesn't work with the Samsung Keyboards. Or Opera. It does work for my Bank App but only after lost of menu clicking. A fallback is needed.

• Thanks for your input @krischik! I've gone ahead and shared it with the team.

You should see in-line suggestions from 1Password with the Samsung's on-screen keyboard. When you tap a sign in field while Samsung Keyboard is in use do you see any prompt from 1Password?

While Opera is not a supported browser, Opera Touch is. If you enjoy Opera, switching to Opera Touch might be a good option for you.

Could you let us know which banking app you're using? I'd be happy to take a look and report any issues.

Thanks again!

• krischik
    krischik
    Community Member

When you tap a sign in field while Samsung Keyboard is in use do you see any prompt from 1Password?

Yes, sometimes I see a 1Password option in the suggestions. But it seem to be unreliable.

switching to Opera Touch might be a good option for you.

I'll give it a try. Strange that one works and the other doesn't

• Thanks for those additional details @krischik. I can certainly understand the benefit of a quick filling option like the 1Password keyboard when Autofill isn't available. Thanks again for your input on this.

If you'd like us to take a look at any apps or websites where you've noticed inconsistent behavior, feel free to share them here. For websites, please include the browser as well. In the mean time, let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

• homerj
    homerj
    Community Member
    edited July 2023

I am having the same issue. The autofill option in Android is extremely inconsistent. It seems that 1password is constantly being stopped in the background. I have to go open 1 password and then return to Chrome or the app I am trying to login to before getting it to work most times. Some times that method doesn't work either and I have to resort to copy/paste. I have battery optimization turned off and 1password set to unrestricted in the battery settings.

Phone: Pixel 6a
    Android Version: 13
    1Password Version: 8.10.8

• Hi @homerj, thanks for writing in and sharing this experience. I'm sorry Autofill isn't working as expected for you and my apologies for the delay in reply.

When you next run into some inconsistent Autofill responses from Chrome, I'd like to ask you to restart the browser by removing the app from Recents (square button at the bottom of the screen or a short swipe up on home). Then re-open the app and try filling.

Let us know if you see any change in behavior and thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.