Feature request: more context for CLI clients

Options
trombonehero
trombonehero
Community Member

I'm using the 1Password CLI with biometrics (thank you!), but the prompts it generates lack enough context to know what I'm authorizing with my Touch ID. I have several CLI processes that use this information (imapnotify, mbsync, msmtp, etc.), and it would be super if the biometric popup could tell me not just that "1Password CLI wants you to authenticate" but that "1Password CLI (PID 1234: mbsync work)" wants me to authenticate. Otherwise, I'm forced to authorize "whatever happens to be using the 1Password CLI", which could for all I know be a malicious script from a drive-by download.

I recognize that you can only go so far with this: if a script really wants to disguise itself as legitimate, parsing my .mbsyncrc to masquerade as the real deal, you can't stop it. However, just a little additional information (e.g., the process' exec arguments) would help me better understand where my password information is going in 99% of cases.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.9.4 (80904006, on BETA channel)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.5.1
Browser:_ n/a

Comments

• Hey @trombonehero 👋 I'm so happy to hear that you're loving our biometric unlock feature! It was one of my favorites when we launched it back in March (and I know for many others as well).

In regards to the prompting experience, we actually are working on improving this to make it a better experience for you. This has been one of our most requested improvements and our team has been hard at work to give you more context so that you have more control and awareness over what exactly it is that your approving through our biometric prompts.

If you want to be one of the first to test out our betas (for any of our Developer tools), I'd recommend joining our Developer Slack Workspace here. We'd love to have you onboard to get first access for new betas when they're available & to share your feature requests directly with us in a setting where it's a little easier to chat.

This discussion has been closed.