Plans for the Firefox snap transition in Ubuntu

baggend
baggend
Community Member

As of Ubuntu 21.10, firefox defaults to the snap package by default. While it is still possible to get the deb package, Ubuntu have stated that starting with 22.04, the snap will be the only option. And as the request came from Mozilla themselves it's presumably not going to change.

I know that currently the snap versions of firefox and 1password can't speak to each other because of the snap security features, but I'm assuming there is some way around this? Have you all started looking at this yet and is there a plan to have a workaround in place prior to next April (the 22.04 release)?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Snap still doesn't allow us to make the syscalls that we require in order to set up authentication keys between our desktop and browser applications.

However, our security teams may have found a different, less brittle, way of setting up that communication channel. I've got my fingers crossed on it.

• Rubennnn
    Rubennnn
    Community Member

Is there any update on this? Having to manually unlock 1password both in Firefox and Chromium is getting a little bit frustrating unfortunately.

• pdutta
    pdutta
    Community Member

Hi, I realize this is not quite in 1Password's control, but it may be worth (nicely and very gently) badgering the snap people to enable this use-case. 1Password works well with Chrome and Edge on Ubuntu 22.04, but -- ironically -- not on the system's bundled browser. Not a good look for Canonical!

• arip
    arip
    Community Member

I'd really like to see 1Password for Linux work with sandboxes, but in the meantime you can install unofficial .deb builds from the mozillateam PPA: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2022/04/how-to-install-firefox-deb-apt-ubuntu-22-04

• baggend
    baggend
    Community Member

Has there been any movement on this? I just upgraded to 22.04 and now the integration is broken. I know about the deb build workaround, but I'm really hoping for an actual supported solution from the team.

• jesusjimsa
    jesusjimsa
    Community Member

@Savanni any updates on this?

• @jesusjimsa None. At this time, the Flatpak and Snap sandboxes are still too restrictive to allow us to set up a secure and authenticated communication channel. At least for now, we have exhausted all lines of research.

Sorry about this, but the sandboxing story doesn't play nicely on Linux with verified inter-process communication.

• arip
    arip
    Community Member

Is there an explanation somewhere of why this can't be done in light of the Native Messaging support in Snap mentioned in https://1password.community/discussion/131933/integration-between-linux-app-and-snap-firefox#latest?

This discussion has been closed.