Why renew sub when I don’t want 1P8?

Options
necktilt
necktilt
Community Member

My annual sub renewal is due in a few days. For the first time in 12+ years, I’m unsure if I want to do this.

I’ve posted elsewhere here about my dissatisfaction with 1P8, and I’ve noted many others here who have similar views.

I reverted to the excellent 1P7, since when I’ve seen no signs of 1P fixing the prime differences with the interface and general usability of 1P8 compared to 1P7.

1P have said here that they will not be supporting 1P7 from now onward. So I'm wondering why I should renew my sub and pay for 1P7, which is effectively defunct as far as 1P is concerned?

1Password Version: 7.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.4
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

It would be great to get a view on this from a 1P person as I'm due to pay my sub in the next few days.

• @necktilt

Just a few suggestions off the top of my head. No specific order except for #1. That was the single factor that I opted for when moving to membership eight years ago; I think it was.

🚑 Recover accounts for family or team members
    Psst! Now you can securely share 1Password items with anyone
    Syncing! 0 configurations needed.
    ✈️ Use Travel Mode to remove vaults from your devices when you travel
    Unlimited devices.
    1Password 8 and beyond.
    👀 💾 View and restore previous versions of items
    1Password backups
    Cross-platform.
    🇨🇦🇺🇸🇪🇺 1Password in your region
    Masked Emails in Fastmail
    Privacy Cards
    Cross-browser support.

Also, I would drop my friends on the billing team an email. I can't say for sure if you might qualify for any discounts, but they can help determine that. It costs nothing to write in. They can also answer any questions you might have about cancelation if that is your choice. Please use: support+forum@1password.com

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Tommy, thanks, that last point about contacting the billing team is good advice, and I'll give it a try.

• Glad to be of assistance.

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Billing Support gave me a discount on my upcoming renewal, which was generous and appreciated. I'll continue to use the familiar, faultless 1P7 during the next 12 months until and if I see a reason to shift to 8.

• Sounds good @necktilt It makes us happy to hear you'll remain part of the family.

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Remaining in the family, yes—though I have the feeling the parents have moved the furniture around and I’m still not sure it’s home any more.

• I have the feeling the parents have moved the furniture around

Haha @necktilt , you literally had me laughing out loud at my desk. I dare say some folks might ask WTH? I just had to thank you for that lively comment as I get my morning started. I truly appreciate the humor. I hope it was intended that way.

I’m still not sure it’s home any more.

I'm sorry if things felt a little strange while we re-model and bring 1Password 8 out into the world. I hope we can make 1Password feel like home just as it used to. We'll keep working towards that.

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Tommy.

I do have an open feature request with my team of jesters for more humour, and I'm happy to add a vote on your behalf for this feature.

And while I humorously consider and discuss every feature request submitted, I can't guarantee when, or if, a particular request for something wildly funny will make it into a post.

• 😊👍

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Oh all right, let's get serious. Here goes. Why not make 1P8 exactly like 1P7?

• @necktilt

As a new app 1Password 8 gives us a chance to review what we did right and even some things we did not so well. As 1Password 8 matures I'm sure that things will coalesce and you see both new and favorite features in the trenches.

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

OK... but during that review, did you think it was important to move the things you did right in IP7 into IP8? Seems quite a few people here think that’s where the review may have faltered. But it’s never too late to change your mind!

This discussion has been closed.