Feature Request: PIN code to unlock

wobblestheduck
wobblestheduck
Community Member
edited December 2023 in Android

PIN unlock code Has the PIN unlock code been dropped in the new 1password 8 version? Without biometric features, I have to enter my long password all the time?

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 11
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:no pin code unlock in 1password 8

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2022

Thanks @wobblestheduck

I've passed on your desired to see the feature return to the rest of the team. At this time this is not an available feature in 1Password 8.

ref: IDEA-I-1222

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member

I'm wondering why so many useful, and sometimes essential, features have been removed in version 8? When I upgraded I assumed that these features would all still be present, along with improvements. I wasn't expecting them to have been removed.

• tjtyrrell
    tjtyrrell
    Community Member

I've also reverted to 1Password 7 because of the removal of the pin code.

Please do not delete 1p7 from my phone until the PIN code option is available in 8.

I do not like biometric logins. I'm also not storing the Coca-cola formula on my phone, so a 4-digit pin is fine with me. Or even just let me attach it to whatever security measure is on my phone (swipe, pin, password, etc).

My master password is 40 characters long.

• Hello @tjtyrrell, thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear a PIN unlock option has been a sticking point for you. I've shared this with the team.

1Password 8 is a new, separate app. You will not be upgraded to it automatically. 1Password 8 is the way forward: with the recent mobile release, our development efforts will be focused there. While I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password, I've added your +1 for a PIN unlock option.

@alexmidd, thanks for your question. We heard a lot of feedback and confusion regarding the lock options in 1Password 7 for Android. How the various settings layered and interacted, was not always clear for those getting started with 1Password for Android. Personally, I've answered a lot of these questions myself. Part of the decision here was to streamline the options available and focus on biometric unlock which is quite popular and available on most contemporary phones.

Thanks again!

• tjtyrrell
    tjtyrrell
    Community Member

Hello @ag_timothy, thank you for your reply.

I agree that Biometric options are becoming more and more common (not sure if there is a modern phone without it anymore). However, there are a few people, like myself, who are trying to keep what little privacy we have left. To that end, I am sticking with a pin code :).

I appreciate you passing along the feedback.

• Revolution1210
    Revolution1210
    Community Member

Another request for the reintroduction of PIN to open. Kind of essential for those of us who do not wish to engage with biometrics.

It is fine typing a long password to unlock on desktop but not on mobile.

Ironically the only workaround is to unlock 1password 8 with 1password 7! Not a long term solution for us.

• Shenanigans
    Shenanigans
    Community Member

The biometrics on my phone died, and the PIN feature helps keep my phone out of the landfill.

• zzeik7
    zzeik7
    Community Member

Yes, please reinstate this feature!!! So time consuming to enter the full length password every time

• Feedback noted. Thanks folks.

• mps504
    mps504
    Community Member

Another vote for adding the pin code unlock back to 1password 8. All my friends who use 1pass also want the pin code feature back. I think I will shut off face ID in 8, and continue to use 1pass 7 for now. Thanks!

• ag_tommy
    edited September 2022

I've added your thoughts to the on going discussion. Thanks letting us know this matters.

• ytsirklin
    ytsirklin
    Community Member

+100 on the return of the Pin. It’s a privacy issue in the US. I cannot be compelled to reveal a pin or password. However my face can be used to unlock. Why I don’t use biometric locks. https://www.concordlawschool.edu/blog/constitutional-law/fifth-amendment-biometrics/

• psiclopz
    psiclopz
    Community Member

I will also be uninstalling V8 and returning to v7 until pin code is reimplemented. I am not going to enter my 30+ char master password every time, nor will I just set the auto lock to never, nor will I "ever" use biometrics.

• Hi @ytsirklin, @psiclopz. Thanks for sharing your feedback, it has been noted along with +1s.

I'm very sorry to hear this has been a sticking point for you. If there's anything else we can help with at this time, just let us know.

• djdanlib
    djdanlib
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

I've recently installed version 8 on Android, since it was such a major improvement on my Windows machines. Most of the new stuff is great and all, but I echo the posters here. The PIN (within a timeout) feature is sorely missed. Here are a few use cases.

Case 1: I recently got stuck in a BitLocker boot loop while repairing a laptop, and having to enter my 1password master password every couple of minutes to retrieve the BitLocker key I'd stored in there was a pretty bad experience.

Case 2: I injured my finger in an unfortunate accident, and this made it unrecognizable to previously-trained biometrics (when not in a protective apparatus.) It also makes typing quite error-prone. Using a PIN would have made the software much more accessible rather than retyping the password several times when I need to get in. This fed into case 1, by the way, which happened about a week after the injury...

Case 3: Feature parity with desktop. I can use Windows Hello on my PCs, which is much quicker.

Case 4: Enterprising youngsters in my friends' families have taken advantage of a napping adult and fingerprint unlocked purchasing and spent a lot of money on in-game purchases. I can see this sort of thing happening here as well, for example if online ordering or parental control passwords are locked up in 1password but they can swipe a sleeping finger to access them. You can change a PIN regularly, but you only have so many fingers. Yes, parenting plays a role, but kids will always have occasional impulse control issues.

Case 5: The fourth/fifth amendment case against biometrics is interesting since I do travel with my phone, and it is legal that I could be compelled by force by authorities at the border to unlock it with biometrics, to (for example) access social media or banking information. Not that I have anything to worry about there but it's the principle. We're in the pre-Internet age here in the US when it comes to private property laws. I could imagine a professional pickpocket being able to catch a sly swipe but that is admittedly getting a little far-fetched.

• WWisey
    WWisey
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

What happened to the PIN in lieu of biometric login? My tablet has no fingerprint scanner and face unlock is not an option. So my only option would be to either enter my master password (32+ characters) everytime or set auto lock on exit to allow it to stay unlocked during use. Seems like a step backwards. Going to keep using version 7 until this gets resolved.

• WWisey
    WWisey
    Community Member

Hard to use face unlock if your missing part of your face, and not all devices have fingerprint scanners, please bring back the PIN.

• Thanks for the detailed feedback @djdanlib! You make an excellent case for a PIN unlock option. Sorry to hear about the boot loop and injured finger! I've added a summary of your feedback to our internal feature request and added your +1.

If something like case # 1 comes up you can temporarily extend the Auto-Lock on Exit setting from Settings > Security. Doing so allows 1Password to stay unlocked while you switch between apps or lock and unlock your phone. For case # 2, depending on the extent of the incident, enrolling a different fingerprint could help in this situation. Either way, my suggestions do not invalidate your points. I just wanted to add some additional options for anyone else who may be reading along.

Thanks again!

• Hi @WWisey, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've passed it along to the team and added your +1.

• 5davee
    5davee
    Community Member

The lack of the PIN option in 1Password 8 is a major flaw. I don’t want to use biometrics and having to enter my master password every time is awful. I foolishly removed 1Password 7 before I noticed the lack of this feature. I regret the upgrade and there’s no way back.

If it’s so hard to reintroduce this feature, perhaps you could make 1Password 7 available again for download.

Add a +1 from me to reintroduce PIN.

• semloh99
    semloh99
    Community Member

Going backwards. Also lost long press for Copy of 1Password fields.
    Major regression of 2 features that I used all day every day.

• Thank you both for sharing your feedback, +1's have been added.

@5davee, if you have previously installed 1Password 7 and still have access to the account that was used to do so in Google Play, 1Password 7 may still be available with these steps:
    1. Open Google Play Store on your Android device.
    2. Tap the account icon in the search bar and select the account used to install 1Password 7.
    3. From the same menu, tap Manage apps and device.
    4. Tap Manage.
    5. Tap the Installed drop down.
    6. Tap Not Installed.
    7. Search for and select 1Password.
    8. Tap Install.

In some version of Google Play, the steps are slightly different. After tapping your account icon if you see My apps & games you can follow these steps instead: tap My apps & games > Library > Not on this device > Search for and select 1Password 7 > Install.

@semloh99, for copying fields we would like to unify the behavior across apps and pins. While I don't have a timeline to share we are looking into changing the workflow from what it currently is in item view with 1Password 8 for Android (tap > copy). Thanks again!

• 5davee
    5davee
    Community Member

@ag_timothy Unfortunately, it's an iPad, not an Android I'm dealing with. Is there something similar for an iPad?

• Thanks for clarifying that @5davee. I'm not too familiar with the App Store but I can see my colleague shared this for a similar question on the iOS side of the forum:

If you've downloaded 1Password 7 on your iPhone or iPad before, you can find it in your "Purchased" section in the App Store. Use the "Not on this iPhone/iPad" toggle to help find it.

• 5davee
    5davee
    Community Member

@ag_timothy That works! Thank you!

• Happy to help @5davee!

• ticktrickandtrack
    ticktrickandtrack
    Community Member

+1 for pincode unlock. have registered extra for this comment 😅🔓

• +1 added @ticktrickandtrack, thanks for sharing your interest!

• anothercustomer
    anothercustomer
    Community Member

Yet another person here asking for the pin feature in version 8. I'll be removing 8 and using 7 until this feature exists. If you completely deprecate 7 without adding this feature to 8, I'll be looking for another password manager.

• Hi @anothercustomer, thanks for sharing your feedback. I'm sorry to hear this has been a roadblock for you updating to 1Password 8 and I can understand your frustration.

I've shared your thoughts with the team. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with at this time. Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.