Master Password doesn't force latin character input when non-latin input method is selected

Options
zvuc
zvuc
Community Member

Ever since updating 1password for mac to version 8, I noticed that I was getting 'wrong password' errors when typing master password even when I typed everything right.

Turns out, starting from version 8, 1password actually started to recognize different input methods. (I'm using Korean/English)

For example, if my password is password123 and I have my current IME set to Korean, i'm guessing ㅔㅁㄴㄴㅈㅐㄱㅇ123 was submitted and 1password tells me i typed it wrong.

As far as I remember in most use cases of applications/web UX, most password entries would ignore the currently selected input method and always force latin layout when inputting password fields. macOS native user password fields auto-change the active IME to english, then after the entry window is closed, reverts back to whatever the previous selection was.

I believe with previous 1password version (7) this was the case, but after version 8 the behavior has changed... could Electron be the culprit?

May seem to be a trivial issue but in daily usage these inconveniences add up to bad user experience, so I'd very appreciate if the issue can be addressed.

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @zvuc:

Thanks for letting us know about this. I've filed an issue to see if we can improve this in the future. In the meantime, I was able to find a workaround for this. After typing a character initially, choose the reveal password button (the eye), which will switch macOS into the English keyboard, and stay persisted if you toggle back to concealing the password.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#16713

• kudokun
    kudokun
    Community Member
    Options

This is quite annoying when you're multilingual...
    You have to remind yourself to switch to English every time you want to type in Master Password.

This discussion has been closed.