1Password on Flathub

CharDSon
CharDSon
Community Member

Since the recent stable release of 1Password Flatpak would be, time to publish 1Password on Flathub.

Flathub is the best known Flatpak package store, so it would be a good idea to public 1Password on it, and it is easier to find Flatpak apps directly from it, since users expect most Flatpak apps to be there.

Here is the guide on how to publish on Flathub: https://github.com/flathub/flathub/wiki/App-Submission

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited October 2021

Hi @CharDSon, thank you for this suggestion! I'll make sure to bring it up with our developers. We appreciate you letting us know what you'd like to see from the 1Password for Linux app! 😀

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/#1001

• We're considering it. We have some due diligence to do internally before I can commit to this feature, and I just haven't had time to act on it.

• alvarlagerlof
    alvarlagerlof
    Community Member

I would very much like to see this too. It would make the installing experience that much smoother since this is currently about the only app I need to install outside of Flathub. Flathub would provide auto-updates too.

• Thank you @alvarlagerlof. I have logged your request accordingly! 😀

• tunix
    tunix
    Community Member

Hi,

Please add 1Password to flathub or provide a repo reference so that people can subscribe to it. In another thread, @Savanni wrote that she planned to update docs for flatpak but I still can't see anything related to it.

Flatpak and snaps are kind of the future of package installation on Linux. I think a portal or something like that will soon be available as well. I hope you'd consider it. Thanks!

• tunix
    tunix
    Community Member

Hi,

I currently have the flatpak installed on my computer. I think either flatpak cannot handle updates properly or there is a problem with 1Password's releases for flatpak. When an update is released, the store (Pop Shop in my case) shows a notification about it. When I try to update the package, it starts to download but fails to update. This is the output of it when I try to update via CLI:

• Hi, tunix. This is odd, as the update worked for the beta version that I had. It could take a bit for me to reproduce this for a stable release.

That image got posted quite small. Could you post a larger one, or an English translation of the error message that you see?

• tunix
    tunix
    Community Member

Hi @Savanni ,

The image isn't small. Please right click on it and select "Open in new tab". But I just found out the possible root cause of this issue. I changed my locale from Turkish to C by typing the following commands:

export LANG=C
    export LC_ALL=C

Then the updates went through just fine. (I've all flatpaks installed as user btw not as system) Then I went back to Turkish locale and retried and got that issue again even though the update went fine with C locale.

I suppose flatpak downloads the corresponding Locale for user's locale; this explains why it redownloads (all) locale package(s) once you change your locale. But I don't understand why such a problem would occur for 1Password only. (I don't have this problem with other apps though 1Password is the only one I install outside flathub)

• Oh wow. That's a strange problem. I'll work on reproducing it on my side, now.

• tmakaro
    tmakaro
    Community Member

Just an FYI, the steam deck's app store pulls from flathub, so this would be good to support for those users.

• tunix
    tunix
    Community Member

I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed. I was contacted multiple times by the support team, assuring that the flatpak updates will be sorted out and someone would get back to me. It's been nearly 8 months and here I am, still not getting updates at all via flatpak. How hard is it for 1Password to be available on flathub? Looks like 8.8.0 is out by now. I'm at 8.6.1 without even noticing that I'm behind.

I was also told that a solution for the browser integration is close (although I was never promised an ETA) but it's not there. Or maybe I'm not aware (since I cannot upgrade) and it's already solved.

• CharDSon
    CharDSon
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

I'm waiting for news about 1Password on Flathub, some solution for 1Password updates with Flatpak and integration between Flatpak version and browsers.

Every week I take a look at the page where the details of each beta and stable update are detailed, waiting for some news related to the Flatpak version, and since then there was nothing.

This page: https://releases.1password.com/linux/

• Redoxeon
    Redoxeon
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    • You’ll need to lock and unlock 1Password in your browser separately from the app.
    • You won’t be able to unlock 1Password or 1Password CLI with system authentication.
    • You won’t be able to use the SSH agent.

I was looking at a program called "flatseal" on my steam deck and it looks like they could update the permissions in the app make use of the features or fix the issues as far as I'm aware. The not being able to update is really annoying, and having it on flathub would completely solve it.

• Hi @CharDSon / @tunix:

I just wanted to update you and let you both know that we've resolved the issue with Flatpak, and 1Password for Linux 8.9.4 is now available. Thanks for your patience on this.

The fix isn't available for the beta channel just yet, so if you're on the beta channel and would like to switch to the stable channel, run flatpak install https://downloads.1password.com/linux/flatpak/1Password.flatpakref and that will switch your 1Password for Linux installation to the stable release. Let me know!

Jack

• CharDSon
    CharDSon
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Hi @Jack.P_1P

Still no update, I still have the 8.6.1 version.

• tunix
    tunix
    Community Member

Same goes with me. I'm not on the beta channel.

• Hi @CharDSon,

Which version of Fedora do you use?

@tunix

I'd like to reproduce the issue you're seeing. Which distro do you use?

Thanks,

James

• CharDSon
    CharDSon
    Community Member

Hi @James.Dressel_1P,

I'm using Fedora Workstation 36

• tunix
    tunix
    Community Member

I'm using Fedora Silverblue 36.

• CharDSon
    CharDSon
    Community Member

I just did a clean install of Fedora Workstation 37, I installed 1Password Flatpak with version 8.9.4.

Before when I did 1Password installations I was stuck with version 8.6.1 and no updates, while the latest version available was higher than this one.

@tunix you can check what version of 1Password you have at the moment and check if you have any 1Password updates.

• tunix
    tunix
    Community Member

I'm currently on 8.9.4 -- when I did a manual flatpak update command, it successfully upgraded. It didn't update itself as flatpak normally do. We'll see how it goes when a new version comes.

• CharDSon
    CharDSon
    Community Member

I am on version 8.9.4 and version 8.9.8 was released this November 1st, when checking for updates in flatpak I have no new ones from 1Password, the problem seems to still persist.

It seems the only solution is to publish 1Password on Flathub and send updates directly there.

• Hi folks, I'm sorry to hear you're still experiencing this issue. I'll follow up with the relevant team to investigate this further.

Ali

• tunix
    tunix
    Community Member

This has been going on almost more than a year.. 😔

• I never saw a 1Password update in GNOME Software
    • The only proper way of updating 1Password is through the CLI
    • Quite often the situation in below screenshot is the case.

• Hey @tunix, I understand your frustration here and apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. I've included your screenshot in the opened issue we have for this.

Ali

ref: dev/core/core#17323

• ssjbardock
    ssjbardock
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

After installing via flatpak instructions on my HoloISO/Steamdeck laptop, I'm getting the following error:

Error updating appstream2: No such red 'appstream2/x86_64' in remote onepassword-origin

If I try to go to the installed section of Discover, it crashes the Discover app

Only way to continue is by removing 1password through the Terminal directly

Any idea how to correct? I'd really like to have it on my system, but can't if it crashes Discover every time it opens.

• Hey @ssjbardock, thanks for reaching out. I understand you're encountering an issue with 1Password installed via Flatpak on your Steam Deck causing Discover to crash. It appears like a couple of other users have also encountered the same problem and we currently have an internal issue opened for further investigation. We'll be sure to reach out to you with any updates regarding this issue.

Ali

ref: dev/core/core#18595

• abrockhoff
    abrockhoff
    Community Member

Also having the issue of the flatpak crashing discover when I go to installed apps. Always shows an error on discover boot up as well.

• Hey @abrockhoff, I'm sorry to hear you're also experiencing this issue. I've added you to our internal tracker and will provide an update when we have more to share.

Ali

• tunix
    tunix
    Community Member

3 months have passed. Still no news. Why is this so hard? Can someone please explain?