Unable to auto-fill generated passwords

parekh
parekh
Community Member
edited June 2022 in 1Password in the Browser
  1. When a form asks me to "create password" I can see the 1Password dropdown with a suggested password, but clicking that item does nothing (see screenshot 1).
  2. If I go into the Chrome extension and try to copy the generated password, I get an error saying unable to save generated password (see screenshot 2).

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: 2.3.5
OS Version: macOS 12.4 (21F79)

Comments

• himanshuk303
    himanshuk303
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

Facing same problem. Just started using 1password. Anyone can help?

I am using Mozilla Browser 101.0.1

I wasn't trying to create any new account, but rather changing password of an existing account, but the problem is same.

• tmsaylor
    tmsaylor
    Community Member

Same problem here, using the Chrome extension. This feature has never worked for me in 1Password 8 (after several months of use). I've tried it on multiple Windows computers.

Same behavior as reported above ("Use Suggested Password" does nothing and the Copy button says "Unable to save generated password").

• selenography
    selenography
    Community Member

Same, on Firefox Nightly 106.0a1 (2022-08-26) (64-bit), on Windows 10 Build 19044. Unlike for tmsaylor (above), this feature has worked for me before, although I hadn't tried it in the past few months.

Interestingly, it worked without issue when I signed up for an account on the 1Password forums just now! I may have restarted 1Password after the last failure; it's difficult to tell. (The relevant site's change-password page had some unrelated fun bugs that I initially misattributed to 1Password misbehaving.)

• Jack.P_1P
    edited August 2022

Hi @selenography / @tmsaylor / @himanshuk303 / @parekh:

By any chance do you happen to have Travel Mode enabled? Let me know.

Jack

• selenography
    selenography
    Community Member

Nope! Travel Mode is not on, and I'm pretty sure it never has been.

• Hi @selenography:

Thanks for checking! In that case, I'd like to ask you to create a console log from 1Password in your browser: Save a console log for 1Password in your browser

Please email it to support+x@1password.com, and include a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/130930/unable-to-auto-fill-generated-passwords#latest as well as your username selenography. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here and I'll be able to locate your email and make sure it's made it to the right place. Thanks!

Jack

• tmsaylor
    tmsaylor
    Community Member

Oh wow. Yes, in my case travel mode is indeed on (seen by signing into my account on the 1Password website). I didn't even realize I had that enabled. Disabling it solved this problem for me! Thanks @Jack.P_1P! Probably still a bug, since my vault is marked safe for travel, but easy to work around in my case.

• Hi @tmsaylor:

1Password in the browser stores your password history (including the site they're generated on) in a hidden vault, so that they're available across all your devices. As it currently stands, that hidden vault is never marked as safe for travel, so 1Password in the browser is unable to save newly generated passwords to that hidden vault. This is something we're continuing to discuss internally, but for the time being, generating a password in 1Password in the browser requires Travel Mode to be disabled.

Jack

• tmsaylor
    tmsaylor
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P I see, thanks for the explanation. Just thinking about that scenario... It's probably better in that case to skip the hidden vault but otherwise proceed. The other option would be to not auto-suggest passwords in that case, but when manually generating passwords, to allow the "Copy" button to work (bypassing the hidden vault there as well) rather than giving a confusing error.

In my case, I can just disable travel mode.

• selenography
    selenography
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

@Jack.P_1P : Unfortunately, I've restarted and updated Firefox since then — the logs for that incident are gone. I was also unable to reproduce the behavior upon revisiting the site.

I'll keep this in mind, though, and should be able to capture logs if and when it happens again.

• mki233
    mki233
    Community Member

Having the same issue. Windows 10 Pro 21H2 Build 19044.1889, Firefox 104.0.1. Travel Mode is disabled. Just started using 1Password this week and it's been driving me nuts as I've been trying to get my passwords updated.

• dagg
    dagg
    Community Member

I am having the exact same problem as @parekh - the same problem occurs regardless of which browser I am using (Firefox 104.0.1, Safari 15.6.1, Chrome 105.0.5195.102 on MacOS Monterey 12.5.1 on MacBookPro 2018). I've tried restarting my computer, no change, problem still exists. As a workaround, I can copy the password from the password generator in the 1password extension into the new password field on the website, and then tell 1password to save the new password and associate it with the relevant username. Any fix for this would be greatly appreciated, the workaround works but is cumbersome and prone to error. Thanks.

• mki233
    mki233
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P Here's the Support Number from the e-mail I received:
    [#NCN-16594-713]

• mgenovese
    mgenovese
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Brand new 1Password customer, and having the very same issue in Brave browser on the Mac. Any update for when this will be addressed? I've been going nuts try to figure out what's wrong with autofill. Not the CX I anticipated. At least I'm within the trial period.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @dagg, if you are able to use the password generator in the extension then your problem is a little different from the others mentioned in this thread. I'm curious if this is happening for you on all sites or just a specific one. Can you select the generated password from the inline menu on our test site at https://fill.dev/form/registration-email? Outside of this, are you able to save and fill logins normally?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mgenovese I know you probably saw our post about Travel Mode, but in case you did not, could you let me know if Travel Mode is disabled on your account? If it is disabled, and you're still unable to generate a new password, then please reproduce the error and send us the following:

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mki233, we got your email and will reply as soon as we can. Thanks for your patience!

• mgenovese
    mgenovese
    Community Member

@Joy_1P Done, sent.

• dagg
    dagg
    Community Member

@Joy_1P I can select the generated password from the inline menu on the test site normally (https://fill.dev/form/registration-email). Seems like the problem could be specific to certain websites?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@dagg Thanks for testing that out. Which specific websites have you had issues with?

• Mac user here - helping a friend use 1Password on her PC. I have no issues, but she cannot get the generated password to work - 1Password will generate it as shown above, but clicking on it does nothing. (She's using Chrome.). I'm on a Mac and have no issues on Chrome. Seems like 1Password 8 has a distinct issue on PC.

• parekh
    parekh
    Community Member

Hi, how do I unsubscribe from email notifications for this thread? Thank you!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Bluepeachesinmyear2, did you check if your friend has Travel Mode turned on? If she doesn't, please have her create a new profile in Chrome, install only 1Password in it, and test things out on our form https://fill.dev/form/registration-email. Let us know how things go.

• Hi @Joy_1P - while I would love to be able to help, I can't get to her computer to test scenarios for you in a timely fashion. We did try to make it work on two different computers - one of which was brand new so no time for settings changes or for software to get out of date. Is this your way of telling me that your team has thoroughly tested 1Password 8 in Windows and finds no defects? thanks for you insight.

• Travel mode is not on. it's the same issue that @dagg is describing - and we've used that workaround, but it's the pits. Please tell me that your QA team is on this and has recreated this scenario.

• dagg
    dagg
    Community Member

@Joy_1P examples of websites that I'm having issues with: myuhc.com, nintendo.com. there are other websites, I don't remember them.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@Bluepeachesinmyear2 Thanks for letting me know that Travel Mode is not on. Were you able to test things out in a different profile in the browser? We'd like to check that first so that we can rule out any local issues, specifically with other extensions that may be installed in the current profile. In many cases, local issues are the culprit.

If it works better, you can have your friend contact us directly so that we can investigate the problem and go over all the troubleshooting with them. We ask that they reproduce the issue and then send over the following:

Attach the logs to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

Let your friend know to include the following their email:

Your friend should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@dagg Could you reproduce the problem on myuhc.com and then send us a console log so that we can investigate things further? Here's how to generate a console log: https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/

Attach the logs to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

Please include the following in your email:

A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/657662
    Your forum username: dagg

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• DXF1
    DXF1
    Community Member

Same problem here - the 'unable to save password' message on mac / vivaldi. Finally, decided to drop the beta version. I've been using 1Password for >5 years and this is the first time I've been disappointed with the response to, what seems to be, a widespread problem. I do NOT have travel mode turned on

• rg937
    rg937
    Community Member

I have the same problem. Started using 1Password about a month ago and have not yet successfully had it use a 1Password suggested password. I have checked Travel Mode and it's off. I'm using Chrome on Windows PC.

This discussion has been closed.