Fingerprint / Face Unlock in 1Password 8 for Android

Options
RogerH69
RogerH69
Community Member

I was excited to see a popup in 1paassword 7 for Android that v8 was out so I installed it and logged in. Second page of the 3 page 'get started' it says "Fingerprint Unlock" and then has an option to turn on or off FACE unlock. A bit disappointed, I left this disabled, and continued with 'get started'. Once in app, I went to settings / security, and in there it also only has FACE unlock.

I decided to enable this option anyway. I closed 1Password and opened it again and it asked for password. I closed and opened again and it asked for password. I closed and opened it again and I said 'Face Unlock' and then under that 'Unlock with fingerprint', and i was able to unlock with fingerprint.

So, for those that are as confused as I first was, where it says FACE unlock, it means BIOMETRIC unlock, and choosing this option will allow you to use whatever biometric unlock option you have configured on your phone.

Quality control - please update the wording as this is confusing and I've seen a few other posts on other sites asking where fingerprint unlock is on 1password 8 for android

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• dmitrya2e
    dmitrya2e
    Community Member
    Options

Samsung s20, android 12, one ui 4.1. For me the same thing, but even having "face unlock" on, none biometrics work. (Face recognition is turned off in my phone settings, I use only fingerprints).

• infreq
    infreq
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Face unlock does not work and no option to use fingerprint anymore ๐Ÿ˜ This is a major fuckup!

• keisatsu
    keisatsu
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4. No option to enable fingerprints.

• Terry58
    Terry58
    Community Member
    Options

Cannot get face unlock to work on my Samsung s21 ultra and have no option to use finger unlock. And where can I download 1Password7 as it worked on finger print unlock.

• Terry58
    Terry58
    Community Member
    Options

Please ignore the above comment, it has started working now (although I do not know why). But it is finger print unlock not face unlock, a bit confusing.

• wlrider
    wlrider
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S8+ tablet and I can't seem to get face unlock to work. I'm still confused about it. It says Face Unlock, but it appears I must use my fingerprint. I have turned on face unlock on my tablet, but it doesn't seem to matter. 1password still requires a fingerprint. Maybe I just don't understand, but I can't seem to find anything to change this in the settings.

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    Options

Another easy fix but our complaints are seemingly being ignored. Not sure what is happening at 1Password, but it has gone seriously downhill lately.

• Hello @RogerH69, @dmitrya2e, @infreq, @keisatsu, @Terry58, @wlrider, @alexmidd, apologies for our delay in reply. We've seen significant inflows with our mobile launch. This question has been covered in a few threads but I would be happy to share the details here:

With version 8.9.1, if a device has a facial scanner, the wording for Biometric unlock will default to Face unlock even if Face unlock is not on or available with 1Password on the device. With this version, if a fingerprint registered, tapping Face unlock on will enable fingerprint unlock in 1Password 8 for Android.

This issue has been resolved in version 8.9.2 which is currently available. You can search 1Password in the Google Play store and tap Update if you have set automatic updates off.

Further, in 1Password 8 for Android, after enabling the Biometric unlock setting in security settings, the app will need to be unlocked with your account password to finish set up. After turning Biometric/Fingerprint unlock on, locking the app then re-opening you should see text under the password field indicating this.

I understand the wording around the Biometric unlock setting in the initial release could be misleading on devices with a facial scanner. I am very sorry for the confusion and any trouble this has caused.

If you're still having any trouble with Biometric unlock, please let me know. Thanks again!

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Timothy, thanks for your reply, that explains things. I think we worked out that it was showing Face Unlock but also applied to fingerprint unlock, but it was certainly confusing when setting the app up initially as I almost aborted setting up fingerprint unlock thinking it was not available. I will now update the apps to the newer version as soon as I can.

Thanks

Alex

• Hi @alexmidd, thanks for following up. I'm a fan of biometric unlock options but I know face unlock doesn't match the security of fingerprint unlock on most Android devices so I can definitely understand your hesitance. My apologies for the confusion and any trouble it's caused!

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    Options

๐Ÿ‘

• ๐Ÿ‘

This discussion has been closed.