Search in 8

laugher
laugher
Community Member

In previous versions, search finds everything because it searches for substrings within words, phrases, notes, fields or titles.

Now search functionality has changed to exact matches separated by space character I believe.

Can we please get an option, checkbox or other way to restore the way search worked previously please as I am having a hard time finding certain records? Thanks.

Comments

• Hello @laugher, thanks for your question.

Are you referring to search in 1Password for Android or the 1Password desktop apps? While there have been some changes with search in 1Password 8 for Android, 1Password 7 for Android did not include some of the options you mentioned.

If you're referring to substring search in the 1Password desktop apps, the current 1Password for Windows, Mac and Linux betas include this search feature. You can find release notes and steps to switch to the beta versions in the guides below:

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member

@ag_timothy

Sorry, I've been busy. You're right, I am talking about desktop search. It was a long day and I must have mixed up the user experience. I'll keep an eye out for the new release. Thank you.

• No problem @laugher! Thanks for following up with me here.

• Simarilius
    Simarilius
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

+1
    Switched to vs8 some days ago and the search experieance is terrible.
    Why isn't it filtering like before? Missing the Searchbar at the All Items.

Currently my feeling is, that vs8 is a downgrade (had also crashes on Mac and ipad). vs7 is back on the devices. let's see which one will stay

• Thanks for weighing in here @Simarilius.

While I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password, I've gone ahead and shared your interest in search options in sections with the team.

You mentioned that 1Password isn't filtering your searches as before. Could you provide any additional details or include an example so I can help look into this further? Thanks again!

ref: IDEA-I-1558

• RaZcal
    RaZcal
    Community Member

Just wanted to ask if the substring function will work at some point with the Android app? As of right now, I am unable to find a value from the substring. For example if I type Pelo (for Peloton) it does not work as it is looking for Onepeloton.

Thanks.

• Hello @RaZcal, thanks for your question. We tend to keep things pretty close to the chest, but I will say this is something we would like to have available across all apps, including 1Password for Android.

• Hi @RaZcal, I just wanted to follow up and let you know that we've included some changes to search in our newest beta, version 8.9.10. Given your Peloton example, typing "pelo" in search will now turn up an item titled "onepeloton". If you're interested in joining the beta, you can find steps in the guide below:

Thanks again!

• RaZcal
    RaZcal
    Community Member

Thanks for the follow up. I might give this a go!

• Happy to help. If you get the change to try the beta, let us know what you think!

This discussion has been closed.