can I have a "second password" for 1password?

Options
obrienk
obrienk
Community Member
edited August 2022 in Families

Here's what I want to do. I want to use a passphrase for my one password access, and I also want to routinely change it at 60-days like I am required to do at work. What I need is a second master password on my 1password account for emergency recovery at home so that if I screw up my 60-day password change (like I did just B4 my vacation last week) at work, I can have this 2nd pwd printed and in my home fire safe as a fallback recovery option. I would likely never change ths 2nd pwd, and ideally it would be a really long, complex password 40, 50, 60 char's yet I don't want to key that monster of a password multiple times a day while I login repeatedly to 1password.

Said another way: daily use of a passphrase of 20 - 30 char, yet if that gets messed up/forgotten I'll have a really super secret long long password that I can also get into my same exact account when I screw up or can't remember my most recent 20-30 character 'Daily use password'. Get it? any similar requests or videos you could refer to me on how I might handle this? .....or other such recovery suggestions, if I were ever to have a catastrophic lockout like described here.....like if I were ever sick or injured and my family needs access to the account.
THANKS

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:"second password" for 1password

Comments

• Hi @obrienk:

There isn't currently a way of doing this directly within a single 1Password account, but what may work in your situation if you have a 1Password Family account is adding a new family organizer using your email, and then storing the Emergency Kit with your long "backup" account password in the fire safe. If you ever forgot your regular account password, you would be able to use that family organizer account to recover your account, assuming you had access to your email account still.

Add and remove family members

Jack

• obrienk
    obrienk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jack, that's a great suggestion!.
    Even though that technique would essentially 'use up' one of my 5 family members....I think this will work for me (or possibly I use an email for one of our grown kids for that recovery--haven't decided yet?).

Perhaps you can add this for me to the 'requested updates' as a possible future enhancement? it could possibly be a toggle option named 'Alternate Recovery Password' that is normally turned off for most users and placed near the 'MFA options' in 'My Profile'. Thanks again

• ScottS1P
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi @obrienk,

Thanks for emailing in to discuss this further. I see one of my colleagues has just replied to your message, so let's continue to the conversation over email. In the mean time I'll close out this thread in the forum to make sure we don't get our wires crossed.

ref: Zendesk-#67595

This discussion has been closed.