Default vault feature gone in version 8?

Options
dankirsh
dankirsh
Community Member

I previously relied on the default vault feature to make sure new passwords went to a shared vault for me and my wife. That feature worked fine in version 7.

I just realized that many of my new passwords were in my private vault, so I went searching for the default vault setting and discovered it is no longer present. It is not on the iOS version 8 app either.

Is there a plan to bring this feature back? I'm disappointed to have "upgraded" to a new version of 1Password, but to now be missing a feature that is critical to my workflow. Is there a workaround, other than changing the vault each time? It's hard to remember to do that, so I inevitably save things to the wrong vault.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.5.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @dankirsh,

Thanks for your feedback about this. We're actively tracking input on the topic and while I can't make any promises, I've filed a vote on your behalf. I appreciate you sharing your use case as the context helps us better advocate for the changes you'd like to see.

In the meantime, I do want to share that it's possible to set a default vault when using the 1Password browser extensions:

I understand the value in having a similar option in the desktop and mobile apps as well though. Thanks again for letting us know it's important to you.

ref: IDEA-I-292

• dankirsh
    dankirsh
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @andrew.l_1P for the reply. I hope the feature returns.

Your advice regarding the browser extension is good, but should clarify that this setting is only relevant when the "Integrate with 1Password app" option is disabled. I have the proper default vault set in the extension, but when I create a new login it does it via the desktop app and goes back to the wrong vault. This creates even more confusion in the workflow and perhaps should give more motivation to implement this feature in an expedited fashion.

• Hi @dankirsh,

Excellent point, apologies for any confusion. I should clarify that even when Integrate with 1Password app is turned on, generating a new password in your browser with 1Password will give you the option the save a new item and that item will use the default vault selected in your settings. Here's an example:

I do see your point about the disconnect between this setting and the + New Item button opening the app and reverting to its current behaviour. I'll share this with the team to see what they think. Thanks for pointing it out.

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.