Need MSI installer for 1Password [Available now for 1Password 8.8 update, contact business team]

omullings
omullings
Community Member
edited July 2022 in Windows

Hi 1Password team,

I need to deploy 1Password to my windows clients, can you please provide me with the MSI package for 1password?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• HI @omullings, thank you for this request. Our Windows customer support team will be happy to help you with this.

Could you send a brief email to support+windows@1Password.com? We'll be happy to expedite this process for you by email. Thanks again, and we'll keep an eye out for your message! 👋

• omullings
    omullings
    Community Member

Hey Peter,

Thanks for following up! I've sent a message to the above email.

• Hey @omullings, thanks for letting us know. I've located your email and will reply shortly 🙂

Ali

UQH-18381-343

• omullings
    omullings
    Community Member

Thank you both, you've been great help!

• It was our pleasure to assist with this, @omullings. Happy deploying! 🙌

• FBobbioC
    FBobbioC
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

Dear AgileBits Community,

I reached out to your company via E-Mail (support+windows@1Password.com) and got a response that there is no msi installer for 1Password 8 for Windows. 1Password 8 has been around since at least November 23, 2021, according to your releases page: https://releases.1password.com/windows/

Could you please direct me in the proper direction, please?

• Hello @FBobbioC, thanks for raising this question.

The conversation above (which, I realize this was not directly stated) was about the 1Password 7 for Windows MSI package - which we can certainly provide for you.

The 1Password 8 for Windows MSI is still on the way, and we are making progress on it!. We want to make sure that everything related to that project is in place and up to our standards at the time of release. And while 1Password 7 is still an excellent option, I'll certainly be excited to share that updated MSI when the time comes, too.

I hope this is helpful, and our team is happy to answer questions and make sure you're able to deploy!

• FBobbioC
    FBobbioC
    Community Member

Hello @PeterG_1P,

Would you at least be able to provide the silent installer options for the exe intaller for 1Password 8? Even though I understand that 1Password 7 may still be a good option, my company is standardizing in 1Password 8, both in Windows and macOS

• Hi @FBobbioC, sure thing - and thanks for letting me know some of the context of the situation. Unfortunately we don't have an effective silent installer option for the .exe. I apologize for not being able to help more directly with this situation, but I will let the development team know of your company's scenario. We'll very much look forward to bringing the new MSI to a public release so that we can provide a better solution for you.

• FBobbioC
    FBobbioC
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P, MSI Wrapper does a fantastic job at repackaging an exe file into an msi one. Maybe AgileBits ought to take a look at purchasing a license for repackaging the exe into an msi. I used the free version and it worked, but it shows "UNREGISTERED" when installing the repackaged 1Password 8 exe installer. The repackaging took less than 5 minutes on a virtual machine with 4 GB of RAM

• Thank you @FBobbioC. I'll bring this up with the development team, although I am aware that there's already a lot of thought going into the MSI and how it should be handled from a dev perspective, so I can't make any particular promises about this. But I appreciate the suggestion, and will pass it on!

• FBobbioC
    FBobbioC
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P, any update on the msi for Windows installer, please?

• Hi @FBobbioC, thanks for getting back to us. We don't have any updates to share at this time. I've added this discussion to our list of customers that were interested hearing when the .msi is available for 1Password 8 for Windows so we can be in touch and let everyone know when this ready to go. We appreciate your patience.

• FBobbioC
    FBobbioC
    Community Member

@ag_mike_d, @PeterG_1P, @ali.hazime, just out of curiosity, does it not look strange that after around 6 months of version 8 already being in the market (https://releases.1password.com/windows/page/2/) and deployed there is no msi installer? I do understand the developers have high standards of how an msi should be repackaged, but there are .rpm, .deb and other files repackaged. This really hinders being able to deploy from an msi, which is what some companies do nowadays via Intune, with the preferred file extension being an msi. Please escalate it and have the developers get on it, since this would really help not only my company

• Hi @FBobbioC, I do understand that it would be useful to have an MSI out for 1Password 8. And it's coming! I don't have any specific news to share at the moment, other than to say that our development team is working on it and we're looking forward to providing this for your deployment. Thanks for your patience - we are making this a priority.

• Christian_XYZR
    Christian_XYZR
    Community Member

need this 2

• Thanks for letting us know, @Christian_XYZR. We're working away on it! 👍

• chipster72000
    chipster72000
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

Good Afternoon, I am also needing the MSI for silent install to push to multiple devices in our environment.

• Hello @chipster72000, greetings. 👋 Thanks for this request!

The MSI for 1Password 8 is still on the way, but if you contact us at support+windows@1Password.com we can provide you with an MSI for 1Password 7 immediately. That email address goes right to our Windows team, so we can help you get on with that deployment. I'll hope to see you over there!

• FBobbioC
    FBobbioC
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P, @ali.hazime, @ag_mike_d, Could we, the customers, have an official response from the development team regarding the 1Password 8 MSI installer? It does not make sense that there are installers for macOS and Linux that are on version 8 and no MSI for Windows. Is there a way to contact the developers directly and ask them the reason behind not moving forward with creating an MSI installer, please?

• MikeT
    edited June 2022

Hi @FBobbioC,

...ask them the reason behind not moving forward with creating an MSI installer, please?

We are working on the MSI installer and for a while now, including looking into adding it to the Microsoft Store and possibly to winget in the future.

We are close to finishing the work, it needs a final QA testing round and if it passes, we should be able to ship it very soon. We do not provide an ETA for our releases as per policy.

It does not make sense that there are installers for macOS and Linux that are on version 8 and no MSI for Windows.

We do not currently offer PKG installer for 1Password 8 for macOS either, which is the equivalent of the MSI installer for Windows. We're working on both PKG and MSI as we speak but there are some obstacles we're trying to address before we can release it.

1Password 8 has a completely different technology stack from the previous 1Password apps (we're talking about going back half a decade at least) and all the packaging tools we had previously doesn't apply to 1Password 8, thus it will take time to rebuild our CI/CD tooling system for all platforms.

In this case for Windows, we did try to reuse our previous MSI implementation for 1Password 7 and it didn't work; in one case, the upgrade process resulted into a damaged app installation. We spent a lot of time trying to get it to work but it didn't work at all, so we had to drop the custom MSI installation script we had and go with an alternative third-party tooling solution, which took a lot of iteration and validation. Last week, there was an issue with the browser support integration, which we just fixed recently. We're still testing it and hopefully, it'll be done very soon.

For Linux, we were able to add more packaging formats over time as it has been out since May 2021. The packaging support was easier to add for various platforms compared to what we faced with MSI but it did take time. Even right now, we're still working on perfecting the ARM packaging support for Linux and hopefully find a way to offer browser support integration for the Snap/Flatpack versions.

• Harshilpatel
    Harshilpatel
    Community Member

Looking for 1passwordV8 msi file

• Hey @Harshilpatel, I've made a note to reach out to you as soon as the 1Password 8 MSI installer becomes available. We appreciate your patience!

Ali

• Christian_XYZR
    Christian_XYZR
    Community Member

@FBobbioC

looking forward to windows store and or MSI. please give us notice when ready. windows store / win get would be preferred

• ag_mike_d
    edited July 2022

Hello @Christian_XYZR, thanks for your comment. We'll be in touch when this is available for 1Password 8.

If you'd like an MSI for 1Password 7 immediately, you can contact us at support+windows@1Password.com so we can help.

With regard to publishing 1Password 8 for Windows to the Microsoft Store, we're continuing to look into this, but have no additional news to share at this time.

ref: dev/core/core#9821

• Hey @FBobbioC, @Harshilpatel, @chipster72000, and @Christian_XYZR, the 1Password 8 for Windows MSI is now available!

Our team has put in a lot of work to make this a robust and reliable package, and we expect it will serve your organization well. Of course, we welcome any feedback you’d like to share about the deployment experience, and we’re here to provide support for any potential issues as well.

To receive a download link, send an email message addressed to support+windows@1password.com. Thanks again for your patience as our team worked on this and we look forward to hearing from you all!

Ali

• Christian_XYZR
    Christian_XYZR
    Community Member

I use it

Thaaaaaankkkkkkk youuuuuu

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

Is it possible to get more information on the MSI installer in the Support Article?

• Hello @guillaumeserton,

Thanks for your interest in the MSI installer. Regarding support information, currently this can be requested by emailing us at support+windows@1password.com. I'm happy to reach out to the team and send along your request for details of the MSI to be provided via support article. We appreciate your feedback!

ref: dev/web/support.1password.com#3414

• leonardder
    leonardder
    Community Member

To clarify, does the MSI installer make it possible to install 1Password globally rather than per user?

This discussion has been closed.