[1P8] password generator

bright6
bright6
Community Member

Wish to have an independent password generator in the app. Similar like the browser extension have, currently the process I want to get a random password without saving it is quite painful. I need create a new item, generate password, copy the password then discard the item.
Also I want see the number of items in categories for each category. Currently in 1password 8 I can only see the number in sorting.

Comments

• Hello @bright6, thanks for joining us on the forum!

I've gone ahead and added your interest in an independent password generator to our internal tracker. Thanks for sharing this request!

Could you share some additional details regarding why you'd like to see the number of items outside the sort function? I know this was available in 1Password 7 for Android, but I want to be sure I understand how or why you used this feature so I can better record a feature request. Thanks again!

ref: IDEA-I-298

• bright6
    bright6
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

Hi @ag_timothy , for the number of items, I do not think it is make sense to get the number from a sorting function, in order to get how many items in each category I need go to sorting for each category? I don't think this is good experience compare to 1password 7 I can easily get this info from categories tab.
    Maybe the intention of remove this number is to want user focus on the function and not the number, but there are users which concern about the number of accounts and regularly doing archive/delete for unused/expired accounts like me.

• Hi @bright6, thanks very much for detailing your use case. Everyone uses 1Password a little differently so I like to make sure we're on the same page before filing anything erroneously. While I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password, I've gone ahead and added your interest for this feature. Thanks again!

ref: IDEA-I-797

• ufha8dhifsdi
    ufha8dhifsdi
    Community Member

A password generator is one of the basic functions of a password manager. Cant believe you've went through 8 major versions without it. Will definitely check my other options before the next renewal, as Ive just updated to 8 hoping it's finally there, as the changelog said "unification of UI", but the web has it and the desktop doesnt. Thanks for nothing.

• SpamSmurf
    SpamSmurf
    Community Member

In version 7 you could link to the password generator from the system tray icon. I really would like that functionality back in version 8.

• @ufha8dhifsdi, @SpamSmurf, thanks for your feedback regarding a password generator. I've added your +1s and shared your thoughts with the team.

ref: IDEA-I-298

• SegeiCMeerkat
    SegeiCMeerkat
    Community Member

Just coming to the end of my trial period with 1P8. Overall happy, but the lack of a separate password generator is an amazing gaffe.

• Hi @SegeiCMeerkat, thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear the absence of a password generator has been a let down. I've added your +1 and shared your feedback. Let us know if we can help with anything else!

This discussion has been closed.