1Password 8, is there not longer an open to default vault anymore?

Options
jeff2000
jeff2000
Community Member

In 1Password 7 you used to be able to configure a vault the application would always open to. Is that gone now? Thank you.

1Password Version: 8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

There used to be an option for default vault till 1password 7. Now that's not available. This has to be there. Working is much better that way. Nothing is missed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• Hi @vishalsheth,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about this. We're actively tracking feedback on the topic so I will add a vote on your behalf. In the meantime, while I recognize it's not the same as setting a default vault in the app, it is possible to select one in your 1Password browser extension:

First, navigate to your 1Password browser extension's settings:

From there you can select a default vault when saving new items:

I can't make any promises about future changes in the the Mac app, but I appreciate you letting us know it's important to you.

ref: IDEA-I-292

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@andrew.l_1P
    Thanks for the help. But with this I see that the option menu for the app and the browser menu is different. This should not and never be the case. The app has to be the central place for managing all setting.

• mburnett
    mburnett
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• mburnett
    mburnett
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for the original post and +10000000 for the latest follow-up. Why do settings have to be discovered in separate, elusive places? The UI and UX are both severely lacking in this “upgrade”.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

+1 from me - although I was now able to se the default vault for new items via the extension, this really doesn't make sense; if you allow managing of settings via different approaches (Mac app and Safari extension), you should make the UX consistent.
    Setting the default vault is not something specific to the extension and therefore the setting should also be available in the app; similarly, I noticed that the app settings has an Appearance tab on the left side but the extension doesn't; instead it has a single Appearance setting under the General tab

• WestW
    WestW
    Community Member
    Options

I understand your confusion as so many features from 1PW7 have changed, disappeared or work differently as they've been moved to 1PW8. Frustrating that there is no documentation on where features went.

In this case, 1PW8 has "Collections" where you define what vaults belong to a collection. Once you define the collection (use the drop down by your vault icon), you can set it as the default "collection vault".

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

I’m surprised that such an important feature was removed from default system.

• MisterBATX
    MisterBATX
    Community Member
    Options

+1. Removing this feature makes no sense. Managing multiple vaults (with different purposes) and being able to set a default vault seems to be core UX. Really?

• barry47
    barry47
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

@WestW This doesn't do what you are suggesting it does. Collections are collections of vaults. "New item" makes the first checked vault in a collection the default vault for the new item. When you select a vault collection in the UI via the pulldown, you limit the displayed passwords to the vaults included in that collection. Yes, I can create a collection called "default value" and check the vault that I want as the default for "New item", but then 1Password will not show me the passwords from the unchecked vaults in the collection.

Removing the default vault as a setting was a UI screwup that should be rectified. I've been a happy 1Password customer for nearly 15 years. This one change is causing me to seriously consider moving back to 1Password7. I've now created multiple items that have gone into my Private vault (because Private is the first item in the list for vault collections) instead of shared them with my wife. The purpose of a family account is to share.

I even tried coming up with a workaround -- I renamed the vault I wanted as the default "1. Shared". Next, I created a vault collection selecting all of my vaults. This should have pushed my value to the top of the list. But instead, 1Password has a hard sort forcing "Private" to the top regardless of the names of the other vaults.

• WestW
    WestW
    Community Member
    Options

@barry47
    I stand corrected. For our family we have multiple vaults so I selected only my vault as a collection in 1PW8 and that became my default vault. But I wasn't aware what happened when using multiple vaults. Also, I found that although 1PW for Browser has a setting for default vault, it resets to Private whenever I clear my browser history (with no warnings).

Like you, I've used 1PW for over 15 years and am frustrated daily with the poor rollout of 1PW8. Many features are missing or have workarounds: 1PW for Browser often shows locked despite my toolbar menu showing 1PW8 as unlocked, it's slow, and many fields are no longer auto-filled or filled into the wrong fields (e.g. email subscription sign-up). After months of trying to deal with 1PW8, I'm seriously considering a rollback to 1PW7. And if things don't improve, time to find a new vendor.

This discussion has been closed.