TouchID unlock doesn't work on Opera

jareality
jareality
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm using Opera version 84.0.4316.31 (arm64) on a macOS (other environment versions provided below). I unfortunately can't unlock my 1Password browser extension using any of the biometrics: TouchID or Apple watch. Can you please advise?

1Password Version: 8.6.0
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jareality! Since Opera is not a browser that we officially support, it does not connect to the app to share a lock state and therefore would not unlock with biometrics. I recommend using one of our supported browsers to unlock with biometrics and for the overall best experience: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

Let us know if you have any other questions!

• honza123456
    honza123456
    Community Member

Hi, I am also using Opera and the biometrics login was working before I updated to the new 1password version. Based on that experience and your answer @Joy_1P , I feel that you blocked the other browsers on purpose. But is it really necessary? I don't see any reason why you would do that, the extension is totally the same as for Chrome.
    I need Opera for my work because your supported browsers don't have the features I need (even basic ones). As a paid tool I think you could adapt a little instead of blocking proper usage...
    But if you insist on that, is there an easy way to downgrade?
    Thanks

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2022

Hey @honza123456, the extension can save and fill in Opera. The only limit is that it does not share a lock state with the app, as Opera is not an officially supported browser at this time. We do have an internal feature request to support Opera and I can add your voice to that request. Hopefully it is something that our Product team and developers will consider in the future.

We would hate to see you go but if you feel that's best for your situation, then you can email support+forum@1Password.com. If you do send an email, please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so that we can get you the help that you're looking for. Thanks!

IDEA-I-422

• faktory
    faktory
    Community Member

@Joy_1P maybe it's time to fully support Opera?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@faktory We do have a feature request opened with a developers for that. I'll add your voice to the request so that our developers know that it's something that impacts your experience. Hopefully full support for Opera can be added in the future.

IDEA-I-422

• aviloff
    aviloff
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Please add my +1 to the Opera support feature request. It has been 7 months since this topic was created.

P.S. I checked your supported browser list and was surprised to find Brave there (I even had to google for it). It's strange you folks decided to add its support first despite it has significantly smaller user base compared to Opera. One will hardly even find Brave in most of global browser usage stats, where Opera has been present for almost 30 years!

• mgrave
    mgrave
    Community Member

TouchID works well with the 1password 7 extension for Opera. I am not going to upgrade to 1password 8 until better support is provided. Please add my +1 to the Opera support feature request. Thank you!

• ZebQuiALaSolution
    ZebQuiALaSolution
    Community Member

Hi mgrave, I found a solution.
    You can install 1Password 7 on the Mac using the AppStore - View link below
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/1password-7-password-manager/id1333542190?mt=12
    Then install the chrome extension on Opera and you will be able to use TouchID!
    Don't install 1Password 8.

Kindest regards,
    Zeb

• justlstn
    justlstn
    Community Member

+1 for the Opera support feature

• Hey @justlstn,

You can see our latest updates on extending our browser support here: Extending support for trusted web browsers — 1Password Community.

I hope this helps!

• justlstn
    justlstn
    Community Member

Hey @steph.giles,

Thank you for the information. This is not the wanted feature though, but now it would be a bit easier to work with 1Password in the browser.

• Thank you for getting back to me @justlstn.

We are working hard to enable users to be able to use 1Password in their chosen browser. Currently you can install 1Password in Opera from the Chrome Webstore.

I hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.