Safari Extension NOT Updating (Syncing) After Edits in Desktop App V 8.8.0

lysander
lysander
Community Member

After updating information in the desktop app I try to login using the 1Password for Safari extension. The old information appears. The only way to force a sync is by quitting Safari and restarting.

Why is this happening?
How do I force a sync without quitting and restarting Safari?
Why is there no option to force a sync?

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOS 15.6.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

@Jack.P_1P @Joy_1P
    Can someone please help with this issue?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @lysander, does this happen each time you edit a login or did it just happen once? Can you try editing a login again and then sign in to your account at http://my.1password.com to see if the changes appear there?

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Yes, the online account shows the edit. The extension does not.
    I found that going into Safari Preferences and turning the extension off and then on forces it to sync.

I know Agilbits claims that the update should be instantaneous since the online account shows the change it is not working.
    Another user asked for a "Sync" button. Maybe not all users have this issue, but something is going on with the extension causing it to not sync.

NOTE: When I check 1Password on my iPhone it IS updated. So the change is being sent out but the extension is not receiving it.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @lysander, thanks for checking on that for me. The sync should be instantaneous so if it is not, then we will want to investigate further. At this time, can you edit a login in the app and then open the extension to view that login? From there, if the login is not updated, then please send us the following:

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member

For your reference, this is your support ID:

[#LIL-68391-192]

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@lysander Thanks! We will get to it as soon as we can.

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

RESOLVED

After following your test conditions the extension now works properly.

For anyone else experiencing this issue:

1. Remove the 1Password for Safari extension by going to Safari > Preferences > Extensions > 1Password for Safari and clicking Uninstall. After that, clear your cache and history in Safari with the steps here: https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/clear-your-browsing-history-sfri47acf5d6/mac. Make sure to select "All Time".
    2. Reinstall the 1Password for Safari extension from the Mac App Store.
    3. REBOOT
  • Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@lysander Glad things are working now.

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

UPDATE: Still not working correctly.

WORKAROUND: Go to Safari Preferences, turn off 1PWB extension, turn on 1PWB extension.
    Only then does 1PWB sync.

1PW 8.9.4
    1PWB 1.3.8

• johnathanz
    johnathanz
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

Experiencing the same problem on MS Edge.

Updated the password in 1Password Mac app. Checked online, update is there.

Old password is still there in MS Edge Browser extension.

Coming from LastPass which has a "manual refresh" in the browser extension which forces sync.

I know 1P is meant to be "smarter", but it's not working right now.

Turning extension off, then on in MS Extension fixes it, which basically forced me to log in again, fetching the latest password from online I guess

Mac OSX: 12.6.2 (21G320)
    Edge: Version 109.0.1518.52 (Official build) (x86_64)
    Edge 1Password Extension: v2.6.0

• Closing this topic as the previous versions of the app have been updated. Please start a new topic.

This discussion has been closed.