Can't Stop Looking for 1Password Helper

Options
MikeA01730
MikeA01730
Community Member

Hi,

I just tried to use 1Password on my Windows desktop from my Chrome browser which I don't typically use. We were ordering movie tickets, I had selected the movie and showing and picked our seats and snacks, and I was about to pay when I clicked on the the 1Password icon in the tool bar to fill in my credit card information. When I did I got a screen that said "Looking for the 1Password helper" and gave me two choices: Try Again or Learn More.

When I clicked Try Again it didn't help, and I was running low on a checkout timer and I didn't have time to waste diagnosing the problem with the Learn More button. The Esc key did nothing, the browser back button didn't work, and the transaction wasn't pending in another pane. There seemed to be no way to escape from 1Password and get back to the theater screen. The transaction timer ran out, and we had to log in again to buy the tickets eventually getting worse seats than we originally would have gotten. Not a terrible outcome, but if I had been spending a long time specifying a bunch of purchases or some other long series of steps I would be really aggravated.

I suggest you change the way this interaction works so I can back out of this interaction if I don't have the time to figure out how to fix the problem. A third button in the dialog box that would let me back out of the 1Password extension and get me back to the original web screen would be a great idea.

Thanks,
Mike

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hello @MikeA01730

Sorry to hear you have experienced this.

It sounds like you may have the 1Password Classic extension installed in Chrome - this extension hasn't been updated in a few years, and is not compatible with the newly-released 1Password for Windows that you have installed.

To get things up and running, please remove the Classic extension from Chrome:

How to remove 1Password classic extension from Chrome:

Once that's done, the "Looking for the 1Password helper" message will stop, and you should be up and running.

You can learn a little more about the new extension here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help.

Warmest Regards

Jermaine

• MikeA01730
    MikeA01730
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jermaine,

Thanks for the careful and well crafted reply. I removed the old extension and installed the new one, and all is well.

Regards,
    Mike

• Hello again @MikeA01730,

On behalf of Jermaine, you're most welcome! If you run into any other troubles, just let us know - we'll be happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.