emergency contact access

user208347
user208347
Community Member

Has 1Password added the capability to create an Emergency or Contingency Access for a person which will automatically contact that person and give that person access to my 1Password if I don't block such access within a designated period of time? (Such as LastPass provides)

Can't find anything about this in !Password app or on line.

Thank you.
user208347

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:emergency contact access

Comments

• Hey @user208347

Digital inheritance is something we've been looking at as previously mentioned, the catch is it's just a very hard problem to solve while meeting the needs of you now, as well as future you and your loved ones.

We'd like to implement it in 1Password but we want to make sure we do it right, which when comes to something like sharing the keys to your most sensitive data in a way that is both reliable in the event of your death or incapacitation and not subject to tampering/easy to hack/phish under normal circumstances, while also not being overly complicated to use, is not as easy as it might seem.

Until such time as we're ready to roll out a comprehensive strategy for legacy management of 1Password data, our recommendation is to used a trusted physical solution such as a safety deposit box containing your Emergency Kit, or providing it to a family attorney with any other end of life documents they may store for you as well.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• user208347
    user208347
    Community Member

Understood. Thank you.
    Also as an added thought: we have been told that legally speaking, for someone other than the registered owner to access digital "media" without the legal prerequisites being done is technically considered to be "hacking" . Just something to think about.

• Hey @user208347

Understood. Thank you.
    Also as an added thought: we have been told that legally speaking, for someone other than the registered owner to access digital "media" without the legal prerequisites being done is technically considered to be "hacking" . Just something to think about.

Thank you for adding that, and I would be glad to pass your feedback along. Let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions. In the meantime, have a great day! :)

• siegesave
    siegesave
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

I think others use the emergency contact's public key to encrypt the vault before releasing it at a predefined time.

this would be great to have in 1pw.

• @siegesave

Thank you for the suggestion! I've added your comment to the feature request so that our product team is aware. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-320

• ikjadoon
    ikjadoon
    Community Member

I would also like to tack on my request for this feature. I unfortunately have no insights to resolve the concerns noted by @joshua_1p, but I hope 1P will keep an eye out when this becomes feasible.

It's one feature I genuinely miss. So far, we're just doing printed versions of Emergency Kits and I feel unsafe sharing that PDF with so-called "digital legacy services" (e.g., are there security practices as good as 1Password's? Probably not!).

• Thanks ikjadoon I've noted your request.

ref: IDEA-I-320

• azhomeuser
    azhomeuser
    Community Member

To "pile on", I think both LastPass and Bitwarden have this sort of feature. This was one of the things that worried me about migrating to 1Password -- as there's no exact equivalent.

The other element that's glossed-over (in these discussions) is it's not just a matter of providing access to your "Emergency Kit", because if you have 2FA enabled, your Emergency Kit's not enough.

As a "workaround", I've printed out a copy of my 2FA TOTP QR-Code and stored it with my Emergency Kit -- because the "Emergency Kit" (as provided) is technically incomplete.

You guys should either a) implement "Digital Inheritance" or b) re-design the "Emergency Kit" to consider 2FA. As it stands today, it seems like there's a hole in your design.

• @azhomeuser

Thank you for your feedback, I've passed it along to the product team. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.