Bug Android tablet and Bluetooth keyboard

Options
tezvienna
tezvienna
Community Member

When using a physical Bluetooth keyboard, 1password does not offer filling passwords, because it seems to rely on the virtual screen keyboard to be shown on the screen. So 1password 8 is not usable for tablets with keyboard.
Samsung tab 8

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @tezvienna, thanks for letting us know this has been an issue for you. When an external keyboard, or an on-screen keyboard that doesn't support filling suggestions is in use, filling suggestions from 1Password 8 should default to below fields.

I don't have a tablet on hand but you can see my example from a phone with a Bluetooth keyboard below:

When the physical keyboard isn't in use with your Tab8 do you see filling suggestions on your on-screen keyboard? I'd also like to ask which browser and on-screen keyboard you use with your device. Thanks again!

• tezvienna
    tezvienna
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ag_timothy,
    unfortunately I do not see suggestions; for Mail only the Android suggestions, for password nothing:

Browser is Chrome, on-screen Keyboard is Samsung standard keyboard.
    The behaviour is the same for all websites.

• adamwood
    adamwood
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

I have the same issue and it's frustrating, especially as the process to switch to 1Password to get a password is:
    1. Switch to 1Password
    2. Tap Search
    3. Backspace to clear prev search (Why does it not auto clear search history?!)
    4. Search for current site
    5. Long tap password field
    6. Tap copy
    7. Switch back to app needing login
    8. Paste password
    9. Think about how awful this UX is and get on with my life

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8+ with samsung physical keyboard. O/S 4.1.1 (Android 12). When the physical keyboard is not connected, suggestions show over the (virtual samsung) keyboard as normal. No suggestions below fields for me either.

I'm happy to try a beta to confirm a fix or workaround works.

• Hello @tezvienna, @adamwood thanks for letting us know this has been an issue for you.

Adamwood, you mentioned using Samsung keyboard as the default on-screen keyboard. Is that the same for you Tezvienna? If so, I'd like to ask you to download Gboard then switch it to the default keyboard in system settings. After setting Gboard as the default you can reattach the physical keyboard and visit a website where you usually see filling suggestions from 1Password. When you tap the login field do suggestions appear on screen? Thanks again!

• adamwood
    adamwood
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy , yes after installing Gboard and setting as the default, (then re-attaching) the physical. I can see the suggestions below login fields. Thats a good workaround, so thank you. I would still appreciate that the functionality with Gboard can be replicated to the default samsung keyboard if possible as this makes the most of the tablet hardware (including the s-pen). Can you comment on whether this is in the roadmap?

• Hi @adamwood, thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear it's working with Gboard.

I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password but I can say we have issues open looking into Samsung Keyboard and on-screen prompts as well as adding an option similar to Always show Autofill suggestion bellow fields that might also help in situations like this as well. Thanks again!

ref: dev/core/core#17072
    ref: dev/core/core#12098

This discussion has been closed.