Apple Watch Unlock problems

Options

Comments

• DanBrotsky
    DanBrotsky
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to report that I have the same problem, both on my MacBook Pro 14" and my Mac mini M1. It started with the most recent beta release and has persisted in all the nightly releases since then. This is really a pain, especially on the mini where password is the only other option. Can you folks please get this fixed? I'm happy to provide logs.

• DanBrotsky
    DanBrotsky
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy You (or someone) created a new discussion from my bug report when you closed the original thread, but that also means the original screen shots etc. have been lost. Is someone on the team going to reach out to me for repro information (logs, etc.)?

• @DanBrotsky

The post was moved in its entirety. There was no screenshot or other data available. A quick check of the cached page indicates that no additional information was provided, which might be a good thing as it will help ensure your privacy.

Please feel free to send those to us via email using support+forum@1password.com That will allow the team to look a the logs.

• DanBrotsky
    DanBrotsky
    Community Member
    Options

I'm happy to report that this was an Apple Watch problem, not a 1Password problem. You can close this thread, thanks @ag_tommy .

• Thanks so much for updating us. May I bother you to share details if you don't mind? I have a few others via email that seem to be experiencing the same thing. It could be a totally one-off type of thing specific to you. If so, no need to reply. Enjoy.

• DanBrotsky
    DanBrotsky
    Community Member
    Options

The problem was that notifications from the Mac to the watch were no longer being processed. (Notice that this has nothing to do with notifications from the iPhone to the watch; they follow completely different paths.). I could tell that it was a general problem rather than a 1Password problem because I also use my phone to unlock my Mac and to authorize administrative actions, and I wasn't getting those notifications either. Usually when I unlock a Mac with my watch the watch will show a notification post-facto, and when I need to take an administrative action a notification appears on my watch and I approve from there (just like unlocking 1Password). Both the unlock notification and the administrative action notifications had also stopped appearing on my watch.

Once I explained all this to Apple Support, they suggested that I unpair and re-pair the watch with my iPhone. I did so, and that restored all the Mac-driven notifications, including those being sent from 1Password.

One thing I noticed that may be relevant to why this is happening to people now is that Apple improved the Mac-to-watch binding UI in the latest release. Now when you go to turn on unlock-with-watch, Apple forces you to unlock your iPhone as well as your watch so they can be sure to bind not only the watch but the iPhone it's paired with as part of the enclave permissions. (I suspect there was a CVE we haven't heard about yet. :) So I think that the notifications got affected by this for everyone who hadn't unlocked their phone when they first set up Apple Watch unlock.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks so much for those details @DanBrotsky. I appreciate it. I am going to try this just now to see the new process on my own device.

• BikerBob38
    BikerBob38
    Community Member
    Options

It would be of enormous help if the people who write instructions - for 1Password and other apps - if, upfront, those directions noted things like: "Requires a Mac computer with a T2 chip"; "Requires an iPhone 12 or later.", etc.
    I cannot tell you how many hours are wasted trying to follow instructions only to learn that what is being suggested in those instructions is not possible with the hardware you have at your disposal. Many thanks.

• @BikerBob38

I apologize for any trouble. I would recommend reading our for the most up-to-date details on device specs. ⚙️ System requirements for 1Password

• BikerBob38
    BikerBob38
    Community Member
    Options

Please do not take that as a criticism aimed at you. That was absolutely not my intent.

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2022
    Options

@BikerBob38

Not at all bob, I'd never take any comments you said wrong. We're good. We've always been good. I too am just a user like yourself. I too run into the same thing with other companies and being on both sides of the coin I can say the struggle is real to keep up with the ever changing world of tech.

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2022
    Options

I have a tech issue now that's been going on with another company for a couple of months. We (both parties) thought it was resolved. Nope, it popped back up the other day. I'm once again in the queue just as we all are when something goes sideways.

Sorry, old man got to talking again. 😆

We're here to help. If I can help answer a question feel free to shoot it my way.

This discussion has been closed.