1Password 8 Android - Dark Mode not being utilized

Options
AUniqueUsername
AUniqueUsername
Community Member
edited August 2022 in Android

The new app is really nice, so first of all, great job!

There is only a slight annoying problem, that it won't switch into dark mode for me, even though my phone is set up the correct way. I tried switching to light and back to dark theme in the android settings, but nothing changed.

Automatic dark mode works on other apps, so I'm not sure why not for 1Password.

Could we have a toggle in the settings under 'General' or 'Advanced' in case everything fails?

1Password Version: 8.9.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 11
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @AUniqueUsername, thanks for your feedback! I'm sorry to hear 1Password 8 doesn't align with the theme of your device. While I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password, we have an issue open and would like to add a dark/light theme selector to 1Password 8 in the future.

ref: dev/core/core#15541

• geoff_low
    geoff_low
    Community Member
    Options

I have found the same. The new app is great, but I miss the dark mode that the previous version had.

• Hello @geoff_low thanks for adding your thoughts here. Are you running into the same issue where 1Password 8 does not match you device theme if you switch to dark mode? If so, could you let us know the make and model of your device as well as which version of Android you're running? Thanks again!

• geoff_low
    geoff_low
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_timothy. Sorry but the problem is with the version of Android on my phone. It doesn't appear to have a device theme of dark mode despite various articles saying how to switch that model to dark mode. Looking at the other apps that are running dark they have specific settings in the app that I use instead of picking up the device's theme. FYI, the device is a Huawei model MHA-L29 running EMUI 9.1.0.

• Thanks for following up @geoff_low. I think that's a very valid use case for an in app theme selector and I'm sure one others are running into as well. I've gone ahead and added this to the issue.

• geoff_low
    geoff_low
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_timothy. Thanks for the update. From what I have seen a lot of apps cover both scenarios by having these sorts of settings: (1) use device settings - default, (2) light theme, (3) dark theme. (2) and (3) allow the user to select a theme when the device doesn't provide one (my use case) or to override the device settings for that app if they wish.

• Happy to help! And thank you for adding these additional points, I'll be sure to pass them along. Let us know if we can help with anything else!

• SparkyMalarky
    SparkyMalarky
    Community Member
    Options

+1 : New app is great! Please add dark mode to the feature request list.

• Hi @SparkyMalarky, thanks for your feedback on the new app! Your +1 has been added.

• PassUserTechGuy
    PassUserTechGuy
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• Thanks @PassUserTechGuy. +1 Added

This discussion has been closed.